VPI SSM lacking bite

Btw - phono stage is a ARC PH7 and pre is a Ref3, tonearm and i/c is LFD Silver Ref.

Just wondered if anyone has experience of an SSM / Phantom / Orpheus set-up before I go for it?

Thanks
sonickicks
I agree they tighten thing up vs. other more compliant isolation schemes, I'm just saying relative to metal spikes and other ball bearing supports I've tried.

I also have trouble comprehending any sort of suspension/compliant device under mass loaded tts. You want to drain any minute vibrations away from tt. any compliant device introduces sympathetic movement back into tt, these asynchronous movements should smear/soften the sound (I hear this). I understand these sorts of devices decoupling from external vibrations, but they seem counterintuitive for draining internal vibrations. Still waiting to hear a good explanation for using these devices on mass loaded tts.
Dear Sonickicks: Do you still have the Roksan rig?, it could be interesting that you try it with the Orpheus and see what happen.

Btw, Insider-Orpheus two different performers, the Orpheus has no the " force " of the Insider.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul

Thanks - the Roksan set-up was sold when the SSM came in, otherwise I'd certainly try it - or at least try mounting the Artemiz on the SSM.

Re the Insider - yes, I was always very happy with the cart, but heard mixed reviews of the Goldfinger, although the mk2 is supposed to be much better. Only thing is a new one is about UKĀ£7,500 - so twice the price of the Orpheus. I looked at the Lyra, but thought that the Transfiguratioin would be more of a set-up and forget option, so opted for that as I didn't want to be tweaking VTA on a per-disc basis.
Sns, the explanation is simple. There are HF vibrations that move bidirectionally between TT and earth. A properly designed compliant suspension can be particularly effective in transforming HF vibration into benign LF mechanical energy. The complication is that compliance in the suspension must not allow fluctuations in horizontal geometry of the drive train-- easier said than done with a TT that like VPI has a detached motor.
Dave, is LF mechanical energy truly benign, slower oscillations should impact sonics as well, I prefer to drain off all energy maximally. The fluctuations between motor and tt are just another complication. I suspect it might be best to spike motor as well, haven't tried yet.

My take is that VPIs should be best situated with large mass spikes coupled to massive vibration sinks maximally decoupled from external vibrations, ie. wall mounted or cement slab decoupled from rest of flooring.

I will soon be building a huge sandbox (planning on over 300 lbs sand), changing out stock spikes for Star Sound large mass brass spikes, figure out some means to spike motor, all mounted on my de-coupled wall shelf. This should test my theories, based on previous exploration in this direction I expect much better performance.