VPI Scout 2 vs. Luxman PD 441

I'm on the fence about just selling my Luxman PD 441 table as I need to upgrade the tonearm from a Denon DA-307 and that seems to be a $1,000+ proposition.
I would replace it with something from VPI and keep my Grado The Reference high output cartridge.  Maybe a Scout 2 with JMW 9 arm?
My question is whether it is worth it for me to upgrade to a better arm for the Luxman or just ditch the whole thing and get a VPI?
Can I even get any $ for the Luxman to soften the blow?
Thanks for any advice.
Brian

bdunne

Showing 3 responses by dgarretson

Don't sell it! I moved through an extensively modified VPI TNT and several vintage DDs to a PD444.  Replace the stock elastomer footers with Stillpoints find a better tonearm. 
Consider a Micro Seiki MS-505(the original version, not a MkII or MkIII) They are $800-$1K on ebay, depending on condition and completeness with accessories and box.  It's a great all round arm and more versatile with modern cartridges than a FR 64S.

@bdunne 

No reflection on Hollywood Sound, but the chance is close to nill that a brick and mortar store will understand or communicate the merit of a vintage table or tonearm relative to current production.