Vitus RI 101 Mk 2 Review

128x128georgesallit325

I read the review on the Wam earlier. 😄

Good writeup on an amp from a great high end manufacturer. Cost of entry is rather high as the entry level RI-101 mk2 costs more than $10,000 already. I don’t think I’ve come across a negative review on a Vitus amp unlike other brands. They must have done something right I guess.

My trite response is because people would be interested in reading it. As you may guess I wrote the review.

Being more serious, I have an interest in amplifiers. In particular, more expensive, well-made and good sounding amplifiers that normally cost over  $10,000. I have seen changes in the audio industry with the rise of corporate owners and less of the singularly minded designer/owners. In my view, this has led to a lot of 'safer' sounding amplifiers. They sell well as they do not offend. But they also risk not sounding superb. A safer sounding amplifier will be a surer financial bet for the venture capitalists. But for me, the best sounding amplifiers have come from singularly minded people like William Z Johnson at ARC, building tube amplifiers when the world was going transistor. Julian Vereker at Naim building dynamic and fast-paced amplifiers when the world was happy with even sounding amplifiers that were safe but not that exciting. 

Was Hans Ole Vitus a similar designer and do his amplifiers sound superb as a result? In my view, yes and they are different as they are very dynamic, fast-paced and musical. Probably why some Naim users like them. Also, I am aware that due to changes in the USA (and the UK) dealers have become less common and audiophiles have to rely more on word of mouth, reviews etc. I am a user and write on a UK forum and the reviews are not influenced by advertising.

The other reason was, I was unfair on the amplifier previously as I did not leave it long enough to fully warm up. I believe a day is needed to really hear what this amplifier can deliver.

George, thanks for sharing this. What were your specific reasons for bringing it to the Forum's attention? Thanks.