Vinyl Reason

I am setting my first stereo system which consists of turntable, amp and speakers. I wonder why people make a decision to go vinyl. In my case I just wanted to revoke that something I had in past....to feel myself the way I felt 20 years ago when I was a teenager...to expirience that ritual of landing LP on a turntable disk, starting the motor, pulling tonearm...whatching it spinning...
But for many people it could be quite different reason. Is it maybe because the quality of vinyl sound is "different"?..just like tube amp sounds differently from SS...
sputniks
Consistently the most enjoyable listening experiences I’ve had (other than live music, of course) have been thanks to good analog recordings produced on good quality vinyl played on a good turntable. All things being of more or less equal quality (sound engineering, recording equipment, venue, performance, etc.) I’d choose this format over any other. A possible exception could be master tapes played on the original recorders, but that’s a topic for another time.

So I will limit my comments mainly (but not entirely) to vinyl defined as: good analog/good vinyl/good playback. I’d like to emphasize that the following comments are my opinions and are drawn from the way I hear sounds and experience musical events.

Vinyl conveys more emotion—a sentiment I’ve heard reiterated by some recording artists. No doubt this is partly due to analog's excellent ability to capture low level detail and nuance.

Vinyl generally sounds more natural than digital (and I have a pretty fair CD player – an Audio Note 3.1x.).

Live recordings sounds more life-like on vinyl. Compare the sound of clapping or ambient audience noise, for example, between analog and digital.

The notes are easier to read, and often more comprehensive. One of my album sets comes with a 157p booklet! Others (e.g. classical LP sets) have complete scores. Illustrations and photographs are large; covers can be like pieces of art. I like the feeling of the weight and size of albums. I hate CD jewel boxes, and messing around with the little booklets.

I like being able to 'fine-tune' the sound with different cartridges, tracking weight, etc.

Vinyl demands my attention. Getting up and down changing tracks is an incredible nuisance compared to the ease of using a remote. So I tend to listen for longer uninterrupted periods when I play records. A good thing, I think. (When listening to CDs I deliberately place the remote far away to discourage myself from changing tracks should my mind wander.)

An interesting and perhaps relevant observation: the same vinyl record sounds a bit different every time it is played (at least to me). This is probably due to very miniscule mechanical fluctuations. No, don't think it's my gear (LP12/Lingo and Oracle Delphi). I like that the sound is not so predicable—others may disagree. But, as I said earlier, all these comments are just personal opinions.

Having said all that, I still enjoy my CD collection (about a thousand in number). I just prefer listening to vinyl.
Albert,
You just inspired my evening listening session! Lorenna McKinnit's "Book of Secrets" and "Beyond the Missouri Sky" short stories by Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny ( love this) I do wish it were avail on Vinyl too. Just transfer this post to the "Whats on your TT tonight" thread for me.! :)

I agree 100% that both formats are a must have even though, like you, I prefer the LP sonically. IMHO this is the real Hi rez format, but again, its nice to have the digital for music unattainable on LP.
Hello Sputniks,

Whether it be my trustee Technics turntable or my JA Michell Orbe TT set up, vinyl is just so much more musical and enjoyable. Maybe now that I have my APL Denon 3910, I will have a better use for my CDs other than wine glass coasters, LOL!

Enjoy the music!!!
I listen to LPs to get all of those seeds out of my gatefold LPs. Does that make me a bad person?