Vinyl or wait for the new stuff??

I was wondering whether to dive into the world of Vinyl or wait for the new format to settle. You see, I have not listened to vinyl for more than 20 years now. I have all rated A equipment and cables and good collection of Audiophile and not so Audiophile CD. Recently I have been thinking of taking a dive into the world of Vinyl. However, knowing myself, I will not be satisfied unless I get some highend stuff which will cost me some serious amount of money. Not to mention that I have to start my collection of software. So my question here for you guys who want to help. Shall I make the move or just wait for the SACD/DVDA ? your input would be much appreciated.
myoussif
Jphilips, bravo for doing your comparison and telling us the results. As you know, you are not the only one to have done such a thing--UHF magazine comes to mind, and also a German researcher who additionally used tubes vs transistors as a parameter. And many of us have done it too.

These comparisons are all needed, because of the snap judgements we humans like to impose based on what we think is consensus. In other words, we don't trust our own ears, and the proof needs to be demonstrated. I am sure nobody who has heard such a shootout goes away unchanged, but you have to hear the difference, not just hear about it.

Bravo for doing such a public demo.

If I were newly dissatisfied with CD ( maybe after Jphilips' demo ), I would be looking into vinyl and SACD as alternative sources. I would like to say that my own experience with hi-res digital, both SACD and DVD-audio, has not convinced me to add yet another source.

What surprised me the most was the relatively small difference between first-class CD and hi-res. I conclude that vinyl can remain a priority for me, because it's better than both when all three are done right.

Two questions arise about high resolution digital audio, of course.

First, is hi-res digital being done right, that is, to or near the limit of its potential? Both vinyl and 16/44 digital needed twenty years to reach theirs.

Second, if it is not yet being done right, what should be corrected? Perhaps the recordings chosen for issue on SACD don't offer genuine high-res, or higher-res than what you can get on vinyl and CD. Perhaps the playback technology has trouble extracting part or all of the extra info.

I have been told that both are quite likely. And this, plus my small listening experience, plus my own nature which is excessively prudent, leads me to conclude that I should not bother yet with SACD.
Myoussif

I was in your shoes a year ago
I had a good digital fronend but wasn't there yet

I went two routes - a mid priced dvd-a
mostly for my movies and a few dvd-as
it was compariable or slightly less resolving to my redbook on the same material

then I went with a Nottingham spacedeck
a whoile world of difference and more musicality
opened up everything

now it's mostly vinyl at home and cd's at work and in car

if you like older music (sorry I'm in a rush and didn't read the whole thread)
take the plunge, you will thank yourself immensely

audiotom
I have what I consider to be a very good digital front end. Sony DVP-NC555ES into a Genesis Digital Lens into a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC. I just bought my first TT last week. A Music Hall MMF-5. I have to admit, even with a cheapie audio technica cart (I got the table used) I am having loads of fun. Already have approximately 300 records. Tons of stuff I have never heard before and ohh what fun it is to browse :)

I wouldn't give up my digital for the world but the TT bug has definately bit. Looking at a cart and other accessories already.

Good luck and have fun
I'd wait for the new stuff. That way you won't have to wade through tens of thousands of analog titles trying to decide what to buy for music. You simply purchase the few titles offered in the new format, everybody needs another copy of Kinda Blue and Diana Krall on whatever the new format will be.
Besides, another cool thing about all the new digital stuff is the players don't last long so you can upgrade as much as you want. Those pesky TTs tend to last for decades.
Definately go Vinyl! - If you wait for the new stuff you'll be waiting a long time. There is nothing on the horizon that can match vinyl. SACD may be better than CD but Vinyl is better. I won't even argue about it with anyone. SACD, DVD-A both have that CD edge which makes it sound mechanical. Something will sound better than records one day IMHO, but we're talking about years. DVD-A and SACD still haven't really taken hold yet, and they've both been around for years now. CD (redbook) still sounds excellent. I have vinyl (best sound) and redbook CD player (biggest selection of recordings) why would I want something in the middle (SACD & DVD-A)?