Vintage vs. New, Risk vs. Reward

There are lots of respectable merchants for used vintage high end equipment.  Having developed my chops during the golden age of hi fi, the vintage has lots of appeal. The question is about the risk of making a rather large investment in what today “measures perfectly” but what tomorrow could quickly  end up a paper weight due to age.  This versus an investment in new which may bring with it, in addition to the probability of better reliability, but also the latest in technological advancement.  I recognize that “new” and “reliability” are much different (reduced) standards than years gone by (IMO/experience).

Appreciate your highs on this topic.. 

128x128sj00884

Showing 2 responses by deadhead1000

I love the looks of “old” equipment, such as the old Marantz receivers. I also love the look of McIntosh, although for the most part they still look the same…but even they have changed the electronics inside.

Anyway, I did not buy “old” equipment as my main system, too many advances over the years, even though there are companies who really know what they are doing - for a price of course. I’d love to have a room for old school stuff, but it would be just for fun to have. 

I brought new, a Luxman, looks a bit old school, but way better built with much better sound. Still lust for old equipment, but glad I brought new. 

Another way to think about is, say you were back in the 1970-80’s looking at new equipment, would you instead buy electronics made in the 1930’s 40’s or 50’s? I sold equipment in the 80’s and no one asked for ‘Old’ stuff, not with all the advances with electronics after the 60’s.  So, it’s 2022 and you are looking back how many years at stuff? Similar to today looking back 20+ years. 

@jasonbourne52 

I agree with you, there is some old equipment that still sounds as good, if not better then some of the new stuff. Restore an old Dynaco or Marantz Tube amp and you'll have some great sound. My AR turntable sounded great until it gave up the ghost. I bet stacking four Advents would still sound great - provided the surrounds were replaced. I'd buy a set of Klipsch - if I could fit them in my house!