Very Bad purchase from upscale audio Acoustic Zen Adagio

This was not my first purchase from Kevin Deal at Upscale audio. I am a entry level audiophile. My PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP and Dialogue Premium Preamplifier have given many hours of enjoyment. I have purchased well over 1K in tubes from Kevin. This purchase took me over the 10K mark with Upscale Audio. I am not a rookie to audio or tube amplification. I have had a successful tube amp repair and design shop since 1993. 
My concern.
Here is the description of the Acoustic Zen Adagio from Upscale audio's website.
This pair of Adagio's from our demo room are also the last pair of Adagio's in our inventory. The Adagio is such a sweet sounding speaker and is perfect for those who really like to get inside the music. The pair we have are in the stunning Figure Red wood finish. The baffle style is the original (and better sounding) non-tapered baffle, as pictured. Price $2499.00 plus shipping
Ok.
I called Kevin and talked to him on the phone.  I asked him if he would entertain an offer. I told him that I had seen the same speakers offered on Audiogon and Audioasylum for considerably less.
He said I am a retail store and back my products. He also said this and I quote " Those people are just guys in their underwear scratching their asses." I am a store.
I trusted the description of the speakers and I trusted Kevin.
Total price. $2839.  $2499.00 plus $340.00 shipping to NC.
The speakers arrived and I couldn't wait to unpack them and hook them up. The packing was great. My anticipation was greater.
Left speaker Tweeter DOA. The same speaker had a shameful reject finish.  The lacquer was so clouded you can hardly see the wood figure. The back of the speaker was loaded with black specks under the lacquer. These speakers are seconds, rejects. I sent Kevin Deal 4 emails referring to the fact that this really was a bad deal.  It has been 3 days and no response.
On the other hand Robert Lee ( Owner of Acoustic Zen)  responded immediately to my email asking for help with the DOA Tweeter. I sent it off next day air to him and today responded that it is on it's way back  to me.
Somehow Kevin Deal's Train ran off the tracks so don't ask for your money back

rbogartr
You have to think about resale values. You probably couldn't get what you paid for then. I would get a refund for the difference amount you think someone would pay for them and the amount you paid. Anything different get a full refund. I will never deal with upscale again!
Andy at vintage tube is a great guy.  Try him. Audio is becoming to snooty and a lot of folks are forgetting the service part. My first lesson was a CD player that I bought from a tube audio place in Arizona. I forget the name.  Guy was nice until I forked over 4 grand and had a problem.  He actually laughed. I said to myself what other industry takes your money and laughs when you have that problem. As far as race is concerned being an African American who doesn't look like a high need audiophile I have had my share of folks being rude and refusing to even acknowledge me or in the case of an audio show even refuse to speak. I'm finally finished with my system and won't be putting in more money in. Not going to to take crap and overpay for it. That being said I have had great experiences with Rick Schultz at high fidelity cables. Bob Spence at affirm Audio. Mike Blust at Modia Houston. There are still some guys who appreciate you and respect our hobby!
My experience with Upscale Audio was good and bad.  Bought a used Oracle phone stage but found it really wasn't the caliber I was looking for.  Kevin took it back in credit for a new Manley Chinook which seemed to be his pet product at the time.  There was a credit card charge mix up that they corrected promptly and the whole exchange was quite smooth. 
Working with Kevin was not pleasant however.  I identify with many of the experiences described above.  Too intimidating and condescending to take my business back there.
Hi rbogartr, I am sorry to hear of your less than acceptable experience at Upscale Audio.  I have spent more than $40K on equipment with Kevin.  This includes Cary Audio Design amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, a phono stage, and a CD player. I have also purchased cables and several sets of tubes.  Kevin and his 'right-hand' man, Jared, have been more than fair with me; they have given me excellent recommendations and treated me very well.  I have been a customer of Upscale Audio going back to 2005.  I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the systems that occupy several room s in my home.  Kevin has become a trusted audio adviser to me, my friends, and my family.  Please call Kevin and speak with him.  I am sure he will make it right for you.  Best wishes and you take care.        
In my experience Kevin can come off as a little gruff sometimes. But he is very knowledgeable and tells you what he thinks. Doesn't bother me. Better than having a guy who just tells you whatever he thinks you want to hear. I've gotten some excellent deals from him. Some of his pricing is pretty good. Charges a little more for tubes but you know they won't be duds.
Anyone who thinks they can definitively judge the finish on those speakers by looking at those pictures must have deeper powers of perception than I have. Pretty sure Kevin didn't apply the finish. If it's a problem blame the manufacturer. Think it's kinda lame to start a crusade on multiple forums against Upscale on the basis of "color not absolutely perfect, finish not absolutely perfect."  And no way Upscale knowingly sends out a speaker with a dead tweeter. All the bashing here is out of hand, especially given the nature of the complaint.