Vandersteens-- Removing M5-HPs for a Digital Xover?

Hi. Quick survey of people that have removed the M5-HP when using a processor/preamp that can do the Xover internally and how much of a sonic difference there was. I guess there is just something comforting about having the physical Xover in-line when the manual (I have Quatros) talks of all the driver damage that will occur if they are used without a Xover. I just upgraded my pre/pro to a Theta Casablanca that can do it internally. I would assume that there would be some kind of difference due to eliminating the parts inside the M5 and the electric change of having dissimilar metals between my interconnects and the pigtails of the M5s. I know that hearing it is the only proof but wanted to see others’ opinions. Thanks.

jwseitz

Greetings,

Please make sure that your Vandersteen High Pass Batteries are A up to date and B soldered in only by a professional, C make sure that you nailed the proper adjustments with the internal hi pass dip switches. As the series of dip switches to be set correctly is vital for performance.Please don’t just read the manual as many are wrong and in need of the following.

Play Track 27 Vandertones 1000 HZ voltmeter into left channels amp speakers binding post. Adjust Volt meter to AC Volts next adjust pre amp volume controls to see meter read 1 Volt AC then go to track 30 adjust the dip switches untill the meter reads .707 volts start all over again from track 27 until you nail it anything else is wrong. please don't forget to adjust both high passes to proper setting.

I would bet heavy once this is done you will easily hear its advantages.

Best JohnnyR

Once I got my Quatros dialed in, I tried using my OPPO BDP 105 for the high level crossover to eliminate the extra IC's, connections and the inline passive crossover but was ultimately disappointed.  The outboard inline crossovers provide much more in the way of musicality, soundstage depth and impact. I'll also echo that one needs to make sure the batteries are at full charge and to make sure to use the correct batteries specified. 

So yes, the crossover is set correctly in the M5s, the batteries were done at Vandersteen, and they have not expired. The manual says that testing the voltage actually drains them and that they should be good until the dates marked.

Sometimes….which Even tho it’s a PITA, it pays to listen…. I expect the real work on the Theta filter was Jim White. Great engineer w good ears. Might come down to preference. As Johnny says, always good to verify actual crossover performance using the voltmeter. Quattro are a real treat for sure, enjoy the journey.

Enjoy the music !

i am a lazy Robot in a busy world