Vandersteen updates and amplifiers

Seeking experience and advice. I have the Vandersteen Quatro Wood (non-CT) and have enjoyed them on a large variety of music for the past 7 years or so. I have been able to hear changes with improvements in upstream gear and tweaks. I use a Pass Labs XP-27 phono - XP-22 Pre and the good ol XA 30.5 to power the Quatro. Balanced M5 boxes.  

Two things recently elevated the performance of the Vandersteen's in my room. First was the addition of Isoacoustic Gaia I footers. I was pretty skeptical about using these as Vandersteen designs to couple the speakers to the floor. These footers are supposed to decouple. But I felt is was worth trying because the speakers are positioned on a suspended wooden floor above a storage area in my house. I had to use the more expensive Gaia I because the 110 lb Quatro has to be supported with just 3 footers. Also, I had to buy 8 not 6 footers. It was not difficult to maintain the appropriate tilt angle by adjusting the footers. Be aware that the rear spike threads are different than the front. After many weeks of use, I think they are a significant improvement. The quality of the imaging and the tonal richness of the midrange expanded to my ears. More palpable presence in the room, better separation of instruments so that you can hear into the recording better. The bass quality changed almost like adjusting the Q. The bass may be a little less high impact and certainly less is transmitted into the floor, but overall bass better integrated into the music.

The second change was the addition of an HRS S platform under the Pass XA 30.5. This is the only component of the system that is near the speakers and in the high acoustic energy zone. Improvements in detail and clarity were not subtle. Very impressed!

So, fellow audiogoners, what might be the next steps for me if I choose to stick with the Vandersteen sound. I hear good things about Vandersteen M5 HPA mono's. This would eliminate the M5 boxes and the Pass XA 30.5. For the same price I could probably trade in the XA 30.5 for a more powerful .8 series amp.  Anyone with experience want to share? I would also consider updating to the Quatro CT if that would be a similar jump in performance. The Quatro seems to be the right size for my medium/large room. 
128x128karl_desch

Showing 14 responses by tomic601

buddy here in Seattle just ordered Quattro with M5, driven by Aesthetix signature preamp and PS Audio DAC.....going to be fun :-)
There are plenty of very fine affordable tube and SS amplifiers to pair with Vandy speakers. Peek under the hood of the model 7 amplifier ( you can see a rare internal photo on my Poverty Bay Sound system page ) and imagine trying to trickle that $50 k plus down into a $15k price... not easy when you start out listening to the M7.
Value isn’t being the cheapest- look at the model 2 - still beating inflation:-)
On Brinkmann- typically paired w Vandersteen 7’s at the Munich show - I appreciate the genius of Helmet - I use gis Bardo direct drive table and have his DAC on my short list.

on the long rumored preamp - ? Who knows when - just keep playing music !!!

the KX-R was on my shortlist....Richard is working ( slowly ) on a killer preamp, with functionality nobody else will have...

I have been listening to my Reference system today after a 3 month hiatus ( covid forced ) and good as the TREo CT / RM-9 combo is the 7 and 7 w ARc front end is jaw dropping..

fun

hopefully everyone is well
Richard calls it an unfair advantage when the speaker designer makes the perfect amp for that speaker :-) enjoy !!!!!
I just spent an enjoyable two weeks of evenings listening to the 7’s and 7’s and will look at my listening history and try to finish those impressions I have of the 7 amps. I just posted A lp photo of unboxing them on my Poverty Bay Sound page
Yes and the invite stands !!! The Davis came about unexpectedly on a sojourn in wine country and stumbled across Davis tasting and barrel room on the river in Healdsburg- I claimed long lost family and they asked for my share of the back taxes ! We fought them to a draw by joking the Reds only wine club ! So the Syrah and Old Vine Zin is our House wine... fun

@repulso - wow !!! Thank you. I printed this out and taped it to the fridge door and Dogs bowl in the hopes of improving my standing in the pack order !!!!!
@repulso I think your post is spot on :-) much mutual respect and admiration between RM and RV, RM was a very early Vandersteen dealer on the East Coast. The RM-9 amp in its variants is an superb pairing - I have the RM-9 w RAM tubes EL-34... running the Treo CT...

Bob - I have been pondering your question... I have heard MX-R non twenty in a variety of rooms and systems over the years including them running the 7’s. I myself ran 5a with the VX-R and then 7’s ( Mk2) and ultimately upgraded to the Twenty. I have about 1k hours on the HPA-7 amps, which in some sense is unfair on two dimensions: price and optimization for load. I have very slowly been working on a review of sorts of the M7 amp, but never get to it because I am listening not writing..
I think your going to have to go have a listen....
all fun :-)))
Locked in = very long fatigue free listening late into the night :-) enjoy the journey 
I have the Vandy 7 amps w my 7’s and a fantastic Music Reference RM-9 with my Treo... you really should hear the M5 power amp
the Ayre VXR/Twenty or MXR is a super amp w Vandy as are both Aesthetix and VTL
Glad you chatted w Johnny - I ran my 5a for a bit with my highly modified 1961 McIntosh MC240.... Vandersteen powered bass like the Quattro takes such a load off your main amp - be prepared to fall in love w tubes !!!

You can check out my placement and ARC and Aesthetix gear on the virtual system page: Poverty Bay Sound

and Zen,  Seattle style
Hi Karl - sounds like a fantastic system and room treatments - fixing low bass w passive treatments in living rooms is difficult- hence the invention of the model 5 and Quattro, etc w 11 bands of analog EQ. You will still have lumps and bumps but many fewer. IF you listen in one place a scales played on acoustic bass don’t vary much ( Soular energy is a great test )
you have it dialed in ! You could add a model 3 sub or two and have a fantastic swarm
system - better bass all over the room but maybe not in the sweet spot chair.
your experience with HRS mimics my own - I have a variety of their excellent products. Your phono and TT are on ????
i believe Vandy has improved the midrange, tweeter and crossover since you got yours - I perswould do the CT before the amplifiers ( I do have the M7 amplifier )
yes I have heard the M5 driving the new Kento - stunning
best to you
jim