Vandersteen Treo CT

do you have an opinion on the and do you own them or have you listened to them?
128x128tomstruck

Showing 14 responses by tomic601

Well in the ensuing weeks and months Tim, Mike and Richard Vandersteen have all been over for a glass and or dinner and. long listening session......big fun...

biggest suprise is the 22 wpc Line Magnetic is up to the task !!!!!! sweet midrange also....

fun..

also there is a set of Treo non CT demo on ssale on thgn right now...most of the magic available at a discount...I have no affiliation...
@ekimg - look at your calendar and see if you can meet up with Tim and I to listen and see IF we can try out your line magnetic..take a look at Virtual system pictures as my equipment is in a narrow built in and we can figure out how to integrate the Line Magnetic- my guess is Line M on floor with a fairly long RCA from Phenomena II to it. Speaker connection at amp end are Bananas, so we may need to do something there also.....fun....

@mr_m sounds good! we got parents healthy enough to move back home - thank you Doctors, nurses, and God
@mr_m 
no worries Tim
in a bit of uncharted territory myself
send me a PM and let’s see
Just stay flexible !!!! Is my new watchword 
the Basis was CT’s
clapped out as it was..ha
they do come up used now and then....killer deck

stop by CT we will go see Bruce together just flipped my spare Revox to him and he has a Jacintha tape we need to hear on the 7’s run off the big VTL’s

OK....update, some listening notes and....

contractor finished condo several weeks ago, some furnishings and stereo arrived: Basis 1400 with Rega OEM 300 w upgraded Basis silver wire, Delos MC,  Phenomena II phono, NAIM Atom, Kimber 12 TC in biwire out to Treo CT, Synology NAS

BTW the veneer job is first rate with bookmatching and love the wild Ambrosia Maple..

about 50 hours on it, almost all LP.....

i have to say in LOVE with LP’s again....yes I understand tgere is some cagey and unspecifc digital bits in there...never the less....fantastic sound....

in my situation the 40 wpc NAIM a/b amp is more than adequate.

let me say this they have the wonderful air, clarity and purity that is a hallmark of the 7’s i guess that is saying a lot given my other system is an order of magnitude greater $......

now the bad news for visitors in the near term, we are inhome caring for father in law who is battling cancer....so we shall see on the invites..we are working to get them back home independent ...bit of road ahead....

jim

Also I see LM have a 48 wpc integrated amp out now...... with big very hot tubes - have to keep nephews away....
Mike.... I have not forgotten you and I will absolutely make good on the promise- Treo are in storage in Hanford birthplace... condo schedule took a one month hit when the bathroom tile was not up to WAF standards.....
i have heard the LM ( at Gig Harbor Audio ) driving an LS3-5a of some sort.... lovely sense of space, harmonica and tone color....I think the NAIM Atom will be hard pressed to match that - the extra special cork / constrained floor damping goes in tommorow, then hardwood floors...
couple of months and you and mr_m can visit and help me tweak what is now... reverberated space....
At least another month on the condo West coast Treo meets Line Magnetic meetup.....
what remodel happens remotely on schedule ?????

Hey Tim
ya man !!!!
that is a go to disc for me, the Harry James - King James is awesome 2
i May add a sub later IF my neighbors can be bought off with Cabernet.....
found myself in San Diego at Stereo Unlimited yesterday - caught the Treo CT with Rogue Integrated ( upgraded model running KT120 Tubes) and an Atoll CD player playing Thelma - To Know me is to Love me...
Cables by Nordost.

sweet, sublime, musical.......very widely spaced, big image, boxless....
good try Mike.....sounds like Vandersteen is pretty busy and we are collaborating on a wild veneer - Ambrosia Maple...so they may take a bit to get here - but you never know....

also this is a new listening room for me to tune but hey diving in is the way to get it done

and frankly with all the glowing posters here on Line Magnetic SQ i would love to hear your amp

jim
ekimg

that would be great fun
couple of months as we rip out floors and remodel 2 baths...
please stay in touch
jim
I just went thru both the Treo and and Quattro manuals.
the setup differs only in the setting up of the low frequency equalization/ level set of the built in subwoofer in the Quattro. The Quattro would do better w 22 wpc as they have a built in amp for bass that takes a tremendous load off your main amp HOWEVER!!!!! You must use the Vandersteen hi pass filters between your amp and preamp sections - sometimes impossible with an integrated, sometimes not.
you have at least three fantastic So Cal Vandersteen dealers between San Diego and Santa Monica
from my experience  having bought gear from 2 out of 3 they will all welcome bringing your amp for a demo.
they all display the Treo. two have the 7 so you can hear how close they come.

my Winter place in Carlsbad. Any way I can help you I will

GDNR yes, lucky bastard....

i have owned various Vandersteen models for 30+ years including currently 7 mk2
IMO they are neutral, musical and boxless sounding..

i have a pair of Treo CT on order for our winter get away place....room is 15 x 32 x 9
i dont listen that loud and intend to use a MAC240 tube amp to drive the Treo

as to Line Magnetic ability to drive them ???? depends a lot on how loud you listen and the room and of course what you listen to.....lug the amp to a friendly dealer and get an idea...