Vandersteen Quatro CT

This speaker has been available for several months and by some reports is quite special. Anyone have a chance to listen to one? Impressions compared to other Vandy speakers?

Thanks!
128x128karl_desch

Showing 12 responses by tomic601

On to cables....
i mostly use AudioQuest
Everything from King Cobra RCA in my Vintage MAC / Apogee system to WBY and EagleEye in the Reference 

i have some shotgun type 6 with vintage spades I may use with the Treo as I plan to use my 1961 MC240 ( very highly modified ) as an initial baseline, maybe move to a DBS cable ..... we shall see....

with the Clear day return, that has me thinking but I doubt that includes vintage spades at amp end ????

i know call and find out
Ya
nothing bad to say about any other Audio company....
250 K Model 2 and something like 37 years later and RV still works 1/2 day most Saturday.....
IMO, he and his family business are “ what’s right and good about entrepreneurial America” .... and doing it mostly here with USA manufacturing in California ( wow ! )
His team is building a set of Treo CT for me right now with some very wild Maple ambrosia veneer and for what I think is an amazingly low upcharge...
freaking cool
an unabashed fan and supporter 
jim
Karl you would be using 200 W
not sure what the vxr is drawing when on at idle but it is 45 W in standby.

giving the Clark Terry a listen - yes a very fine recording on many levels :-) 

NYC
i have the VX-R Twenty and leave it on most of the time ( vs standby ) Thrre is a difference in SQ even tho it is smaller than the pre twenty change in SQ from standby to fully warmed up. I attribute this to the old topology and thermal trac devices. The double diamond changes seem to also benefit in SQ changes from standby - even so while the twenty sounds excellent about 20 minutes in I leave it on most all the time.
cant comment to much about Twenty break in time and changes as I got my 7 at about same time.
have fun !!
that is what this is all about !!!
joy

well I will have to fire up the big system and stream some Tidal this eve...
i am sure it will be shocking...
i have been going down a real analog bunny trail with my vintage system with Apogee stages..the ribbon mid / tweeter is good for sure but not match for the Vandersteen CT IMO...
Pete - so glad to hear your new stuff coming together !!!!!! you will be enthralled with PURITY and a clear water like clarity...layers of grunge removed....
..and yes Quatro CT will replace the Apogee eventually in my smaller room....

a bit off topic but I have found it hard to beat Unitiserve w Pardo linear PS but Aurender is on my short list as I am TIRED, very TIRED at lack of NAIM support and server has been in for service twice in 4 years..A trip to Canada for a comms board fix is just not cutting it.
I thought you would maybe leap on te 5 a carbons in walnut...?
that is on topic CT
best to you man
You will sell them ! CT

i just replaced the AQ Type 6 shotgun Biwires for an LFD cable out of the UK..very nice el cheapo upgrade while I wait to do the Vandy amps.

On topic..I think I have heard Quatro CT at 4 dealers now...pretty consistently good in far ranging rooms..FOLLOW the excellent setup instructions and be precise and you will be rewarded..

BTW the 7's freaking sing with the Opus3 master tape copy whizzing by at 15" per second...

Nrenter..setup right the Amused to Death disc will have you looking over your shoulder...

CT...not much I can do to help you..I wonder IF he knows the Best Buy Marantz is SS ?
...people hear what they hear.
I find recentering myself with live, unamplified real music every week helps..
i did see Rickie Lee Jones last week in a smallish venue...amplified, two glasses of Vino sublime...even thru a PA. she still has it...IMO

Sort of related..the OP's dealer in ATL took my 5 a in trade..he coulda had Rosewood..oh well. Quatro CT vs 5 a is tough.. RV said nod to CT in mid in my room, not even close in bass weight, drive, etc..he did know I was not shopping for CT.