Vandersteen Quatro CT *beginner* questions

I started a search for speakers months ago and then all hell broke loose; the search is on pause until I can start auditioning again. I had initially decided against the Vandys (cost, distance to Audio Connection) but I keep reading wonderful things about them. I have a few VERY basic questions for y'all.

--The reviews make them sound like very balanced speakers, good at everything, but I'm still curious if they're known for shining with certain kinds of music (like Harbeths are for the human voice). Although I like to crank tunes every so often, I'm particularly interested in a speaker for chamber and orchestral music. My standard is not the sax or voice or shredding guitar but the cello. I'm also interested in a speaker that can do its thing at low and moderate volumes. I read somewhere that the Quatros like to go big; can they "go small"? 

--I've read that they're relatively forgiving about placement. I know the bass can be "tuned" but I've also read that they're more agreeable about proximity to walls than many speakers. Is that true? (I've owned Maggies and suffer a bit from speaker-placement PTSD, especially around the distance from the back wall.) 

--I can see they require external crossovers. Are those included in the (gulp) $15+k price? 

Thank you all. Of course I hear great things about John Rutan and I know he's accessible, but I thought I'd run these preliminary questions by this forum. And ... thank you!
northman

Showing 5 responses by tomic601

Chatted w RV today, the comment is very old before improvements to models above the 3.
also an error on my part Quattro does not have a DBS crossover.
have fun ! Enjoy the music :-)
Actually no, not any more. The Treo has the carbon tweeter, no 2 or 3 does.
the Quattro since inception has powered bass w 11 bands of EQ and a DBS crossover which no 2 or 3 has.
spoke with RV today , will ask him about your “ quote” tommorow....
In the TREO CT you get the same tweeter and Mid as the Quattro and you could add the sub 3,s later
i believe the Quattro has advantages of DBS inside the internal crossover, JohnnyR can confirm
I am a big fan of Vandersteen, own the 7 mk2 his high pass amplifier and a pair of TREO-CT. I also run Quad ESL, Apogee and Thiel in other systems.

The Quattro with CT are certainly a world class speaker at extreme value. I am not sure if the filters are included - I would certainly negotiate IF you get to that point. Powered bass with 11 bands of analog EQ per channel is incredible- takes load off your main amp which helps in all manner of ways - clarity, soundstage, distortion... and tunable bass gives you more placement flexibility. Our Treo system is in a condo so Not needing a  subwoofer Kept us away from the Quattro.

johnny is a great guy and very experienced dealer and setup expert - love trading texts and conversations about great music with him.
Best to you and please don’t hesitate to reach out for help in your search. Enjoy your quest and the music !!!