Vandersteen fans..need your input (TREO CT)

Hey Guys, I love my TREO CTs, but I feel like they don’t really start to shine until I crank up the volume to 85dBs or higher. I feel like the details are missing at lower volumes. I know I have a lot of acoustic issues in my space, but generally speaking, at what volumes do you guys listen to your system. Just to give you an idea of my system, I’m using an Ayre AX-5/20 integrated, Aurender N100H streamer, Denafrips Terminator DAC (also an Ayre Codex DAC), AQ Earth XLR cables and AQ GO4 double run bi-wire speaker cables. Any of you guys do low volume listening...like the when your family is a sleep. Any general tips to improve the low volume listening experience? I suspect I would benefit the most getting room treatments but it’s not an option for me at the moment sharing the living room.  Thanks in advance.
Also, check out this link on youtube, it’s rare to see TREO CTs in videos on the web.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKxBalxq1c
nycjlee

Showing 5 responses by tomic601

the OP needs a nightime solution when the family is asleep

not outplay AC/DC
the loudness button....somebody must have invented it for a reason
before the sales and marketing guys ruined it...

johnnyr dont you have a decent preamp with tone controls ?
also s/n is critical so float some of tge grounds but not all - inky black background is just better s/n
also look for aural and electrical trash in the room
what is the level of background noise in the room ?
i had to put a bullet in the bar mini fridge as even tho it had a very quiet compressor it resonated...
short of a dedicated room can you also get all your wall warts, etc on to a seperate circuit ?

some thoughts
if it is perfect in the near field it is your setup, room or both
hearing test a good idea for all of us
ears aint linear, hence the loudness button...science...
if it is that you might consider a decent mac preamp with tone controls ,

you could also upgrade to 7’s i listen at considerably lower volume vs the 5a
pistonic with a lot less trash = better at lower volume levels
got the same effect just smaller magnitude when Ayre R went to twenty series...

yrmv