Vandersteen 5A vs Meridian DSP8000

Anyone own both, or at least compared the two against each other. I know they are differnt prices and differnt approaches, so you may say its not a direct comparison.
axle

Showing 1 response by axle

Thanks. I am more interested in music than movies, but I do have a 7.1 channel Meridian system (analog system, not DSP speakers).

The nice thing about Meridian DSP speakers is that you don't need to match electronics. They are already integrated, which makes the system very modular. If you want to add speakers to a different room, you don't need to add more amps. You can multiple rooms from just 1 central preamp. Very convenient and professional level integration. The nice thing about Vandersteen, to the best of my memory, was their accuracy. But then again, that also beceomes dependent upon amps and preamps, and speaker placement is critical.

I don't have that much room to place floor standing speakers 30" from the wall so I went with on-walls, Meridian 300 series analog speakers and G series amp/preamp. I am very happy with the sound for music and of course for movies too. But I am considering adding a new system to a second room. I still have space restricitions. The most I can place them off the wall is 20". I think Meridian DSP speakers may be more forgiving in terms of placement.