Vandersteen 5 - Best amp and pre/pro under $3k ?

Hello

I have been reading the discussions here on Audiogon and am amazed at how knowledgable everyone is. This is my first thread and hopefully some of you can shed some light on this for me.

I am finally upgrading from my 2c's that I've had (and loved)for 23 years now, and getting a pair of 5's. I am stoked! However, I need some help choosing an amp and pre/pro that will do the 5's justice but not bust my budget. I split listening to 2 channel stereo and surround HT movies about 50/50.

I have been scouring the posts here for wisdom but realized starting my own thread might be easier. Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated!
ahslaw57
Emotiva XPA-1
These are mono block amps new for 2000 dollars.
There built like tanks and sound great.

For a straight preamp, the Emotiva the RSP-2 Preamp is the one.
Its made in China and thats why the cost is low. Its 700 new.
You can read the review on here of the Emotiva stereo amp and the RSP-2 Preamp
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1234483217

For the Mono block amps, here's 2 reviews.
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/emotiva/xpa-1-monoural-power-amplifiers/PRD_429864_1583crx.aspx
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will follow up. As to Rleff's question, can I run HT thru tubes? What are the pros and cons of tube? I've only used them in guitar amps, but I am open to it. Thanks
Do you already have a processor unit?
are you running a 5.1 system and looking for amplification for the main left and right speakers which would be the vandy 5's you just obtained?
I would look at Audio Research for a pre and Classe for power, I sent you a mail in reply to yours.
Yes its true that budget isnt really on par with the class of speaker you are looking at but with a AR tube pre like a model 16 used and say a Classe CA 150 or higher you are atleaat in the ball park, can also get most of your money back reselling those items as you step up into more worthy models over time. But dont be fooled into thinking you cant be thrilled on a budget by snobs, you can have a very pleasing performance at your budget but in time you will want to step up your game. Cheers