Vandersteen 3A Sig vs Harbeth vs Spatial OB

Hello, I am a long time lurker, read a lot of the commentary here. I am considering upgrading my system after many years, notably the loudspeakers.

My system is: Sony SCD-1 SACD player, CJ Sonographe TT with Jelco 550 arm and Benz Glider HO, Jasmine LP2.5 phono stage, Audio Research VSi-55 integrated amp, Epos M22 floorstanding speakers. Wire is Cardas, Audioquest and QED. I also stream using a Elac unit feeding a Chord 2Qute using Tidal. I also have a nice Primare I-30 integrated, solid state amp that I use sometimes in place of the Audio Research.

I am thinking about upgrading speakers. I had Vandersteen 1b’s years ago, liked them alot, felt they were a little too smoothed but otherwise excellent. Also had Sonus Faber Concertinos with a Velodyne sub which I enjoyed.

Considering speakers in the $2000-2400 price range used, in my 16x19x9 carpeted room, which has room treatments.

Candidates are:

Vandersteen 3A Sigs - heard these at a friends home, driven by a Hegel amp, sounded wonderful.

Harbeth Compact 7 ESIII - very good reputation and reviews, I have heard smaller Harbeths before, sounds very nice, sweet and warm with excellent midrange.

Spatial Audio M4T or M5 open baffle speakers - I am wondering about these and their OB style, they have seen excellent reviews. I have not heard them.

My musical tastes are reasonably varied, from some classical to some pop vocals to some jazz/folk and big band. I really like my Epos speakers but they are getting a little old, sometimes with digital music the tweeter can be a little sharp, especially with more popular recordings.  I prefer a full sound, excellent voices and strong bass.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.
troidelover1499

Showing 1 response by tomic601

3 very different speakers all w relative strengths. I also had a pair of SF Concertino... that is a well executed forgiving but musical
tweeter... I am a known Vandersteen fan, owned 3a signature for many years of enjoyment- make sure they come w sound anchors and do biwire IF you go that way. Have fun, enjoy the music :-))) and the journey