Using PA Speakers In A Home "Audiophile" Application!

Hi guys,

I am a bit inspired to explore/trial usage of a pair of PA speakers at home after i attended a live event recently. 

I looked at some Yamaha PA models and zoomed in on one that isn't too huge/heavy, relatively easy to move around perhaps. 

Are there any audiophiles here who had relative satisfaction trying such speakers at home? I am also thinking that this may not be a great idea, but, just curious at the moment.

deep_333

Showing 1 response by james633

It depends on the speaker just like home audio. Some are trash and same are amazing. 

When I look at a speaker like the JBL VTX’s (huge and expensive) drivers and layout I have to believe they are exceptional. The drivers are pretty similar to the JBL M2 but probably have some changes in the motor (more mass) for heat control. But it is a PA speaker with controlled directivity in mind. pretty amazing engineering and not just a shiny box. Not sure they could fit in a typical home lol….

quote from website. 
“VTX V25 is fitted with JBL’s precision-engineered 3rd generation HF waveguide technology producing a properly time-aligned, coherent high frequency wavefront that maximizes the combined output of three D2 Dual Drivers. While producing a wavefront that is sufficiently flat to couple properly at extreme high frequencies, the active radiating surface area extends to the edge of the enclosure, thereby ensuring optimized vertical coupling even when enclosures are tightly-wrapped at 10 degrees.”