Using Adcom GFA-555s as monoblocks to power magnepan 3.3s in active biamp

Yeah, a long title but it says it all.  Presently I have my rebuilt Magnepan 3.3rs actively biamped through a Marchand active crossover, then using 2 stereo amps to power bass and mid/treble respectively.

I am considering taking two Adcom GFA-555s and bridging them and using one each to power the bass panels of the maggies. 

Since the Magnepans are 4 ohm rated, however it's only the bass panels I'd be powering, what are your thoughts on stability?

Appreciate the help.  Don't need suggestions on "selling all my amps and buying one bigger one" - I have a lot of different amp options but am a tinkerer and want to see if the power of a bridged adcom would be good to control the bass panels. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xjji666

Showing 4 responses by allenf1963

@oldrooney 

Thank you very, very, much for taking the time to respond so in-depth to a complete stranger.  I really appreciate it.  I am going to take time to read and reread what you have written.  Indeed, Ohm's Law is at the top of the "Electrical Side" of this hobby that totally confounds me.  I'm 58 and retired, so I have all the time in the world -- I'm glad to see someone else later in life pursued this interest through Community College.  After digesting your info, be prepared for more questions!  Thank you again.

Allen

Pardon my limited knowledge on this subject and a question that may be very basic to many of you.  My biggest hurdle with audio equipment has always been the inability to grasp the "electrical side" of the hobby.  I've given great consideration to taking Electronic courses at my local Community College, just so I don't feel like a foreigner in a new country when I read discussions similar to this one.  If any members could suggest a very easy to understand book on this subject, I'd appreciate any and all book titles.  Again, I apologize, but here goes:

So what is the problem if a speaker or amp rated at 4 Ohms is operated at 2 Ohms?  What are the worst case outcomes -- blowing all the fuses, burning the amp up, blowing the speakers or frying the crossovers, catching the house on fire, or Three Mile Island Part 2?  This is why I am so eager to take some classes or read books that aren't written for someone with an Electrical Engineering degree.  I look forward to learning something.  Thanks.

@petaluman 

"Depending on the nature of the mismatch, the result could be an amp or speaker fuse blown, or a speaker driver or an amp output section.  Your house & neighborhood are probably safe, though!"

That's good to know!  Usually when I do some tinkering and something unwanted happens, it's never small.  I go big!

@oldrooney 

Again, solid info and I'm starting to gain a grasp.  Another simpleton question, in its most basic use, is the purpose of the speaker's crossover then to alter the voltage or signal that is going to the bass, mid, and treble drivers -- to produce the sound signal you want without burning out those individual drivers?  Again, I know this is Kindergarten stuff to most of this Forum, but even though I've been a music fan and around bands my whole life, this was the area that just puts me in a "deer in the headlights" mode.  I know I'm not the only "lurker" in this Forum this puzzles over these questions...I'm just not afraid to admit my ignorance!  😂

Thanks again.

Allen