USB SQ, what can one expect

Have been trying out the USB connection on a Resolution Audio Cantata. The wire I've been using is generic (nothing fancy)and I've been using a Dell laptop using JRiver just to try this out. My problem is that my CD's played on the transport built into the Cantata just sound fantastic, three dimensional, everything and the same CD's ripped to the computer don't hold a candle to it played over the USB. I've also tried some high rez downloads. Is this to be expected or is the problem that I need to optimize the USB playback more. Thanks for any guidance that can be offered.
redcarerra
Interestingly, Cerrot, I recently moved off of an S/PDIF implementation in favor of USB. But, my DAC is different than most, and is considered "input agnostic."
Rhanson, I am certain threre are more favorable spdif installations that would better the staggering pulse of usb. SPDIF equals high customer service costs. USB equals no customer service costs. ANYBODY can plug somehithing into a usb port.
I strongly disagree with Cerrot on this subject! I have used both and USB has come a long way to now being not only included on all high-end dac's but the digital input that I and all reviewers feel produces the best overall sound reproduction in all respects of measurement. I will never go back to S/PDIF due to the conversion that takes place that produces jitter! USB is the future of computer audio in my opinion and can only improve as it continues to evolve. USB 3.0 will be the next generation. Windows 10 will not require a driver for 2.0 USB which will improve it's bandwidth all the more. USB audio is the future of High-End audio!

Regards,

Trueaudiofile
Far from it, audiofile. The new servers and technologies are omitting USB. USB is on the way out, buddy. The spdif you tried must not have been very good. I don't hear any details of it. USB is for the masses. I choose to be a little more 'unique'.

Cerrot - I'm assuming the spdif output you are using is on a seperate sound card - which one are you using?

What others have you tried?

Thanks