Upgrading to a stand alone DAC

I have the upgrade bug..lol.  I am considering purchasing a stand alone DAC as 60% of my listening is thru my CD player (NAD C568).  This was purchased new 3 years ago for $799.00.  My budget would be $1500.  Rest of system is the Marantz Ruby KI integrated amp and the Reference 3A de capo speakers.  Would I hear a significant difference at this price point?

128x128wentz

I have played about with stand alone DACs since I bought my first Arcam Black Box way back when.  I have found that sound quality is not necessarily directly related to price, so auditioning is important.  I am currently using a Moon DAC in one system, a vintage Classe DAC1 in another, and a Hegel in another and they are all very good.

You should have a little talk with yourself about what qualities you really prize in music:

-- Are you thrilled by more and more apparent resolution?

-- Do you want deep, percussive bass?

-- Do you listen to classical music and appreciate the sound of mass strings?

-- What is more important in audio-reproduced sound: excitement, or timbre and tgone that are close to the original instruments/voices?

When you go with a standalone DAC, you can certainly get certain sonic benefits compared to a CD player. But you'll get more bang for the buck if you pursue a type of DAC that suits your tastes.

I was an analog guy from way back. Loved turntables, MM cartridges, and vinyl sound. I wrestled with digital audio for decades, never really satisfied with certain aspects of digital sound--namely the artificially emphasized transients, thin/non--existent harmonics, and notes presented as 2D cardboard cutouts, with little of the roundness of tone and spatial cues I hear in music performed IRL.

Until I found NOS (non-overampling) digital, also the very closely related tech, multibit digital. Both are old digital techniques that were long ago superceded by the most cost effective delta-sigma technology. I'm not an expert in what's under the hood of each, but I can tell you that the first time I heard NOS digital, my entire relationship with digital audio changed. I've had 5-6 DACs total, and now have 3 NOS models of differing cost and features. They all sound more musically realistic and lifelike than any delta-sigma DAC.

i just ordered a holo cyan 2 dac for a little less than your budget. i currently hve a gungnit mb and want a new sound.

Yes you will hear a significant improvement at this price point.  There are many budget friendly DAC's which will greatly improve your sound.

I don’t have a ton of DAC experience but the 2 R2R dacs I’ve had are way more enjoyable to me than any sub 2k Delta Sigma I’ve owned. Currently have a Musician Pegasus 2 I got a great deal on locally. Was not happy with the DAC in my Cambridge streamer. The Musician makes that built in DAC sound broken. I’ve heard great things about the Gustard R26. Sounds like that might be the one to beat sub 2k.