upgrading systemdek iix worth it?....

Hello, everyone.

As indicated in the subject I own a Systemdek IIX that is in mint shape as judged by the tech that last adjusted it.  I've been told the tonearm is the weak link on the table.

The reason I am considering upgrading the turntable is so I am not limited in which cartridge I can install since the Profile arm has no azimuth adjustment.  IOW I want a better tonearm.

The phono-stage I am using what is in my integrated amp - a Simaudio Moon 340i.

When I got my Systemdek adjusted, the tech said that this is a very good turntable with a tonearm being its weak link.  He said he could install an OriginLive Encounter for 2200.

My budget is:
turntable: 2500; cartridge: 500-600 and pre-amp: 1000-1200 CDN

My questions are:

1: Is the basic turntable good enough to warrant installing the Originlive Encounter tonearm?

2: Is the phono stage in my Simaudio Moon 340i going to be the weak link when I upgrade the turntable? IE. should I add a separate phono-stage?

3: I'm considering the Musical Fidelity MX-Vinyl phono-amplifier for $1100.  Is  a sufficient upgrade to the one in my 340i?

Thoughts please?

128x128lewkor

I have two of the Audiomods arms on my turntable. A 9 inch and the 10 inch.

Both arms are very good. Jeff is excellent to work with. 

@dover, I have one question about the Classic III.  Is the VTA adjusted via a threaded ring and fixed with the set screw we see in the photos?  How is the VTA adjusted and also where is the azimuth adjusted?

@lewkor

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/f233eea773cbc47d311b80d32702da48-40.html

The standard classic, I'm not sure.

You need to contact Audiomods and ask the following -

VTA - I can order VTA Micrometer Adjuster on the new Classic ? cost ?

There is no azimuth adjust on the Classic, only on the 6.

If you want all options you probably need the 6, but the classic has the same bearings etc of the 6 with fixed armature - VTA adj but no azimuth.

If you can afford it go for the 6 and you are set.

Keep your old arm so that if you ever upgrade your TT you can move the Audiomods to the new table and sell the old with its original arm.

@dover

I emailed Jeff with the questions you posed:

Q: Can I order the VTA Micrometer Adjustment on the Classic?  and can I get azimuth adjustment on the Classic?

Jeff: I think the best suggestion for you is a new model, the Classic Six, the Classic base with the Series Six carbon fibre arm tube, like the attached pictures. Performance will be identical to the full Series Six and includes built-in vta and azimuth adjustment and the Series Six silver litz loom, so a very big improvement and could work with any level of future upgrades.  Price is 895GBP.  The fully polished finish adds 40GBP.

Q: What do I do for an arm board?

Jeff: If you get a Rega RB300 arm board the Classic 6 would drop straight on.

If your original arm was a Linn-geometry one (Systemdeks also often shipped with the Basik) I can make a Classic Six in Linn geometry, though a new arm board still available or are simple to make.
I have customers with both the Project and Rega P6/P8 right up to P10 and they have needed to change the arms to get the best out of them. A Rega deck with the arm changed still needs an upgrade sub-platter like the Groovetracer one to give of its best so I'd advise staying with the Systemdek.  The other advantage of the Classic decks is that their prices are still rising, so a good long-term investment that will hold its value and it will easily out perform your other choices unless you spend quite a lot on upgrading them.

Sorry couldn't paste the images here - I tried

BTW. Jeff also wrote: I’ve been doing a very soft launch of it (the Classic 6) this year but it is proving extremely successful, with nearly fifty made.

I think it will be in big demand as it provides very top performance at a realistic price.  It’s capable of partnering the same level of cartridge as the full series Six, right up to 10k ones. You lose the calibrated vta of the full version but that’s OK if you don’t change cartridges a lot.  I have converted a number of potential Classic III customers because the leap in performance really is worth the extra.

The website will be updated next month to include it and also a 12” arm and price rises for the Series Six, though the Classic Six remains the same.

-----------

Given the above, since the Originlive motor/controller and the Audiomods Series 6 Arm  is only 11.5% more expensive than the same upgrade with the Classic 6 arm I think I will get the Series 6.  One reason for spending the extra money is that I know I'll be experimenting with various platter mats, so it'll be useful to be able to adjust for the varying thicknesses.

PS.  Jeff responded to my query quickly with great information.  My overall impression is he is a great guy to do business with.