Upgrading from Wilson Sophia 2's?

Currently using these in a 14x25 room. Enjoying them for the most part, but they can sound aggressive and make mediocre recordings sound like crap and be somewhat fatiguing. I’m interested in trying something that is slightly more forgiving without sacrificing a lot of detail, air, dynamics, etc.

Any suggestions?

Associated equipment (preamps still in flux):

Amps
Pass XA 100.5 monoblocks

Preamps – Tube
Audio Valve Eclipse
Cary SLP-05

Preamps – SS
Fire H20
Wyred 4 Sound STP SE
Pass XP-20

Sources:
ModWright Transporter
Raven One TT / Triplanar / Dynavector XV-1s

Thanks.
madfloyd
I have Sophia 1's in a 14'W X 23'L with a ceiling that starts at 9.5' on the left side and rises to 10.5' on the right. My system and a 52" LCD screen are between the speakers.
I have tried acoustic egg crate foam, thick gathered material similar to drapes and a thick flat blanket covering the screen. The foam and gathered material tamed the "beast" but the cost was a reduction in imaging and compression of the sound stage.
The flat double thick blanket worked best and with a small pillow on the wall directly behind the system at ear level listening for hours isn't fatiguing albeit's not at 85db!!!
It seems tuning the back wall is a bigger deal in my system/room then the side wall reflections!!!
before doing any speaker upgrades I would probably consult ASC (acoustical science corp) to see if they can suggest some improvement on your acoustics if you haven't done so.
Sophias for the most part I heard them are not really aggressive speakers.
One will be surprise how much acoustics can contribute to the overall sound of a good hi end system like yours.
Good luck-all the best.
I agree regarding having your room checked out professionally. I had pair of Infinity Prelude MTS’s that were supposed to sound very flat across the frequency spectrum. In my room they were aggressive, forward in the treble and fatiguing even on a good recording. Some Core Audio Design diffusers on the back wall solved the problem and gave me a great soundstage with increased depth.
I used Rives and I think the cost was about $2,000 and I received plans with where to place treatments and the type of treatments needed. The plans include schematics of how to build the treatments. Most of the treatments are not complicated and not very expensive to make. The plans will also show you the optimal area to place for your listening position. I am guessing from the description of your room the most complicated ( and perhaps expensive) applications will be dealing with your ceiling.

I am not saying that ASC tube traps will not work but my front LF bass traps are triangular shaped floor to ceiling measuring 24"X24"X34". That is a lot of volume and I do not know if ASC, or others for that matter, have traps that big to absorb the LF needed to treat the room. I also have other traps in back that are curved and use different materials than what was used in front LF traps.