Upgrade question. Rega RP3 or RP6.

Hello,

I am ready to upgrade my set up.
I am debating between a Rega RP3 and RP6 with the stock Rega cartridges. I listen to a variety of music with a large portion of my collection being punk rock. The one thing my current set up is lacking on is bass.

*Will I hear a huge difference in sound quality with one of theses over my current turntable?

*What is your opinion on RP3 with upgrades VS stock RP6?

*Will I notice a huge difference between a stock RP3 & RP6 on my current 2 channel receiver/speaker set up?

*Will a pre-amp sound better over the phono input on my receiver?

*Can anyone recommend a shop in the Los Angles area that demos Rega?

Thank you for any input you can provide on my questions.
gregdreg
The RP3 and RP6 plinths are totally different. The RP6 is made from medium-density fiberboard as opposed to the coarser particle board used for the RP3. The finishes, obviously, are worlds apart. The braces are different: the top brace is a sandwich of aluminum and plastic on the RP6; not so on the RP3. The RP6 has dustcover hinges secured with screws that are an inch and a half long and heavier-gauge than the half-inch screws used on the RP3.

I have been modifying a Rega turntable (Planar 3) for the past three years or so, piece by piece. The last change was from an RP3 plinth to an RP6: I did this completely for cosmetic reasons. But damned if I didn't hear clearer, better-defined sound with the RP6 plinth. I dunno.

But the differences above are real.
I contacted Elliott at acoustic image but he does not have a rp3 or rp6 for demo.

Hi Mr_m,
Thanks for the offer but I'm looking at getting a white or titanium.
I found a stereo shop 5 minutes from my house that carries Rega they had a RP1 and a RP10 on display it was nice to see a Rega in the flesh after reading so much about them. The guys at the shop were really cool and knowledgeable. Unless I find a killer used table I'm definitely going to be buying from them.
Not a rega fan. To me their tables are WAAAAAAY over rated. I prefer the Pro-Ject in sub 2K tables
Hi Vernneal,
Which Pro-ject model in the $2000ish price range? I would be more then happy to research your recommendation. -Greg