Upgrade Interconnects/Cables or…?

At 71 years of age, I have two possible upgrades I’d like to perform. After that I’m done, except for the usual tweaks (i.e., tubes, isolation, etc.). I’m very happy with the system I’ve built over the years, and it fits my room (medium), and the sound I’ve been after has been realized. I am guilty of concentrating on the main components of my system, and not paying much attention to what connects them. And, I’m in the hunt to upgrade my line stage…Maybe? So, what to do first, and perhaps I can hold off on the second option entirely? My budget is under $6,000 for either one.

I’m still an analog guy, even though I do have a DAC, Streamer, and NAS. My concentration here is for my phono playback. My interconnects and cables are old, but even so, each time I’ve upgraded a main component I have heard definite and sometimes significant improvement. Whenever I purchased interconnects/cables in the past, they were always decent ones at the time.

Option 1 - I’m looking at replacing the following interconnects/cables for my phono playback…

Turntable, Arm, Cartridge: Upgraded TW Acustic Raven, Ortofon RS 309D, Ortofon Verismo

Current Phono Cable: Cardas Cross

Phono Stage: Tron Seven with the Reference caps

Current Interconnect to Line Stage: Cardas Cross Reference

Line Stage: Boulder L3AE and recently upgraded the caps by Boulder

Current Interconnect to Amps: Crystal Piccolo

Amps: TW Acustic 300B Monoblocks

Current Speaker Cable: WireWorld Silver (original)

Option 2 - My system is fully unbalanced, so when considering a line stage, I don’t want to pay extra for designs that benefit from using the balanced side when I won’t be using that. One consideration for replacing my Boulder, is the Audible Illusions L3B.

So, which option might you choose if you could only choose one? And, what might you go with?

Thanks,

Kenny

kennythekey

@kennythekey An analogy, In nearly all cases a flea on a dogs back, keep safe beyond the gnaw area of the dog and will never ascend the hair to get a view of the outside world, the flea usually spends it life down under on the dogs skin.

Very rarely a flea ascends a hair and sees the real world and all it has to offer.

Are you not feeling like such an individual in relation to Audio Equipment, where your route is not the typical Investigation and Purchases made that were the end result?

I certainly feel an affinity to such types of individual.

pindac,

No, I don’t feel that way at all..I’ve already been through all the Typical Investigations and Purchases…And their consequences.

@kennythekey

If you can make some tweaks to your existing equipment and get what you are looking for, it sounds like a win-win. 

Oops... the cables I mentioned were $40 not 12 something... my mistake. They sound really good though.