Upgrade from KEF 107.2 > Sophia or Andra

Hi guys,

I’m currently using the beautiful refurbished KEF 107.2 and loving the full range presentation. It can go deep to 20hz without subs have a beautiful presence.

I used to have the LS50 Meta (with dual REL) and missing its holographic soundstage and superb details. However in everything else the KEF 107.2 trumps it.

I’m now thinking of upgrading and have few options to choose from. Prefer to have another full range speaker without additional subs if possible.

1. Wilson Audio Sophia 1

2. Egglestonworks Andra 1

3. Pioneer S-1EX.

4. Thiel CS 3.7

5. Diatone DS-5000

I’m running them with refurbished Yamaha C-1 and B-1 vfets amps with Marantz SACD SA-14S1 and Technics SL-10 with EPS-310MC. Planning to add Minidsp Flex once it’s available again to optimise.

I’m leaning towards the Sophia and Andra. Both are approx the same price here in Australia. Will the Andra be better than the Sophia?

Regards

baseus

I once owned the KEF reference 107. It may be difficult to find a modern speaker that can match the effortless bass weight and integration as well as that dual 10"  design.

If you want to avoid subs, the Andra is probably a better choice, or possibly a design with built in subs like the NSMT model 100.

Thanks @yakbob 

That's my hesitation with the modern slimmer speakers, I haven't found one that can have the same full range performance as the old beast.

The Andra specs looks better on paper than the Sophia. With bigger cabinet, more drivers and dual bigger woofers as well.

You might find other brands won’t sound quite right after having the same speaker for a long time. I went with meridian dsp and the mids came closest to the r107 although male voices are a bit less chesty on the meridian the active bass is a decent match with 7200 or above. Used prices are reasonable. I’m listening to the kef blades right now and they sound great with plenty of bass but the mids from the uniq driver won’t sound like what you’re used to.