Upgrade DAC from AMR DP777SE

I have been using an AMR DP-777SE DAC which is now having intermittent reliability issues. I'm considering replacing/upgrading to either a
1) Chord Dave
2) PS Audio Direct Stream or
3) APL DSD ($$)

I need to buy used, and I'm comfortable with that. My hopes are for reliability, deeper soundstaging, timbre distinctions (ie violin & viola) and, most importantly, emotional engagement. I'm now 70, so my hearing ain't what it used to be.

I realize that responders are expressing their opinions, and my system synergy & sound room acoustics impact everything. I'm only looking for a DAC. I do hope to hear from you. Thanks from Olympia, WA USA

Current second system: flac & hi rez files→ APL DP-777SE→ Pass Labs XP20→ Pass Labs XA100.5's→ Ridge Street Audio Design Sason speakers. Cabling is all Jena Labs.
128x128rubinken

Showing 1 response by essrand

It is very hard to find a DAC as smooth, engaging, and analog sounding like AMR, with the AMR you don't feel the need to invest in analog gear at all.
I owned the DP777, and still miss it.
Like yourself I moved on to Bricasti, it's a lot more neutral but has sound characteristics of an high-end analog system.

If you loved your AMR, don't bother with PS Audio or Chord and the likes. Look at Wavelength, Luxman etc.