Upcoming Technics SP-10R (100th Anniversary Model)

Ok GAE owners, now you can sell your turntables, because upcoming Technics 100th Anniversary model will be a new version of the reference SP-10mk3 and they call it SP-10R. Finally!

http://www.technics.com/uk/about/press/releases/20170830-sp-10r/

"Berlin, Germany (30 August 2017) – Technics has today announced the launch of the Reference Class SP-10R, its most premium analogue, direct drive turntable to date, which is anticipated to hit the market in early summer 2018. The news comes as Technics unveils a prototype of the new, cutting-edge turntable with the world’s top-level* S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio and rotational stability for the first time at this year’s IFA."

"Reference Class Turntable Promising Outstanding Results

The SP-10R features a brand new, coreless direct drive motor which, in addition to the two-sided rotor drive system that was used in the SL-1200G, boasts stator coils on both sides of the rotor, for a more powerful and accurate sound."

"The heavy platter features a three-layer structure consisting of brass, aluminum die-cast and deadening rubber, just like the platter of the SL-1200G. By optimising the natural frequency of each layer, external vibrations are thoroughly suppressed resulting in a beautifully clear and crisp audio experience."

"The SP-10R also features a new ultra-low-noise switching power supply, which, compared to a power supply unit using a transformer, is better at suppressing unwanted humming sounds and vibrations. The power supply unit is separate from the main turntable, preventing unwelcome noise from being transmitted to the turntable unit, for a sharper and clearer sound."

FIRST VIDEO with SP-10R:

https://youtu.be/g0AjawoIqmg

https://youtu.be/DKuYVWl8TpY

https://youtu.be/dFXzMs-fb88

https://youtu.be/0U2xkWCiQZw

P.S. Should we expect $15 000 or more ? And the new plinth comin soon?

Power supply looks funny, but the design of the drive is great, i think we should wait for the new version of the EPA-100 soon. Good news the GAE was not the last turntable !!!

128x128chakster

Showing 18 responses by tzh21y

what is the platter mat they are using?  I saw it in one of the videos.  It is clear, looks like acrylic of some kind.
It sounded like it is absolutely one of the top turntables in existence.  Very solid lifelike presentation that has a much larger soundstage than the 1200G as it should.  The cartridge was a Ortofon Winfield Ti.  The sustain and decay on this table is as good as it gets anywhere.  If you are a belt drive lover and someone who like to tinker, the table may not be for you.  No tinkering needed.  It could be fully operational in less than an hour with two people as it probably weighs around 100 pounds. Very much an engineering masterpiece.  It sounds as truthful to the source as I have ever heard anywhere. The table does not sound bloated or flabby but very grounded and well.... real.  Like real music sounds.  Listened to Symphonie Fantastique Berlioz Living stereo reissue.  This is one of those records that can tell a lot about your system.  A table and system that is less up to the task will not do this record justice and this is a record where you really notice the difference a high end system can make.  The best equipment will reveal subtleties that really make a you believe you are listening to a real orchestra and you are right there over fifty years ago.  Everything sounded right where it would be if you were there, front to back, side to side.  Bass is extremely tight, solid and very right.  The best bass I have ever heard from a turntable.  It never added its own flavor to the sound, just what is there, in the grooves.   What can I say... it is fantastic but its almost 20K.  So unfortunately I will keep my 1200G for a long time as it is still a very good turntable, but not this one by any stretch of the imagination.
It is similar to the 1200G in its presentation, just better and a bigger sound.  I still think the 1200G is a lot of turntable for 4000.00  A lot.  It is accurate in its reproduction as to say if I was a mastering engineer, that is the table I would want without a doubt.
They might sound better but I have not heard an older version. If they do.. I want one. Its possible. The tonearm is great. I want one of these tables but I can’t have one.... I am not hearing the power supply shortcomings as many have spoke of. These tables need run in time and a better power cord. as well as the mat. The headshell Technics supplies is not bad, it has to be with the right cartridge.  It is also the quietest table I have ever heard.
I have heard a technics 1200, the 1200g is definitely better the 1200gr is very good and is better to these ears.  I have not heard an older sp-10 but know people who have and they did say they were absolutely amazing tables so you could be right about the older reference technics. I had a technics 1200 and gave it to a friend.  it was good, it did not perform like the 1200G.  I would say the biggest thing that is coming into play here is run in time.  There is something about some of the newer products coming out these days that seem to take forever to run in.  My sacd player took almost a year before it started to sound right.   the 1200G was similar as it took a very long time to run in and I am fairly certain its not done yet.  the older sp-10s have been spinning for years and have an edge in that department.  I still would believe that there is something to be said for them.  i am sure they are amazing.
One thing I would say is the newer tables are a hell of a lot quieter than the older 1200's thats for sure
the table I heard was the sl1000R. It could very well be true that the SP 10 MKIII is a great table.  I heard an SP 10 Mk II a few weeks ago and its a great table no doubt about it.   If it as good or better than the Sl1000R, it is probably one of the best tables in existence.
one of things I like about the 1200G is you can adjust the torque to your preference.  I am not sure if the older models allow for this?
I read his review and again, 72 hours of run in on these tables is nada. they need at least 1000 hours. so as the MkIII may well be better, maybe not need more run in my friend, without it, I do not consider this review valid. MkIIIs have thousands of hours on them and like I said, the plinth does matter a LOT.
I was reading somewhere that a reviewer actually preferred the new 1200GR and G to the SP 10R.  I think that the plinth is very important and you have to have that figured out and into the overall cost.
I scribbled out a couple of thoughts for you above...

Don’t get me wrong, If I had an sp 10 MKIII and they are supposed to be amazing, I probably would keep it.

I am not impressed with the guy tearing apart the table only to return it.
It appeared as if jpjones3318 had torn apart an sp 10R only to return it.  I may have read into that wrong, my bad.
I predict in about five years or so, people will be saying OMG that sp 10R, I have to have one, they are just so much better than a Mk III, which whether they are or not 72 hours run in will not give you any idea of whats to come my friend.