Understanding the Wadia 170i Transport

Trying to understand this device and the benefits it can provide. Perhaps those who are using it, or have used it, can help. My questions are,

1) If the Wadia 170i unit itself has its own internal DAC, why is it necessary to use an external DAC to truly benefit its high rez digital output?

2) If using an external DAC, and in order to benefit its high rez digital signal, should it be connected only thru digital output (from external DAC) to the preamp, int-amp, or receiver? Or can it go analog RCA from external DAC to any of said components (using high quality IC's of course)?

2) If using only Wadia 170i's analog RCA output (without external DAC), is it the same as using a mass market iPod dock with analog RCA output? If not the same, is there really a superior sonic performance.

I'm interested only about the audio performance for lossless playback, not video. Thanks in advance.
edgejazz

Showing 1 response by edgejazz

Thank you very much for sharing your observations and experiences. Hens, thanks for your insightful review. I now have an improved understanding of this device.