Ultrasonic Record Cleaner 40 v 80 v 120 kHz

I’m new to vinyl. My table is George Merrill’s Signature Polytable. Most  of the records are purchased used from local shops, which range from poor to decent condition. Hence, I need a record cleaner. 

I have been researching ultrasonic (US) cleaners online, The standard US cleaners  are 40 kHz. More recently, however, I’ve seen companies like Cleaner Vinyl and Degritter are offering multi kHz machines that operate at 40, 80, and 120 kHz. 

Is there any evidence that the higher frequencies make a real audible difference? Or is alleged benefits just marketing hype? Any real world feedback if the higher frequencies really improve cleaning would be appreciated. 

Thanks much.

jwr159

@jwr159

If you read the book, Chapter XIV XIV.4 Record Spacing, and XIV.6
Record Rotation Speed you should realize that they are spinning too many records too fast.  Otherwise, the 4875 tank is 40-kHz and 160W while the CS6.1 is 48-kHz and I believe only 80W power - I did a quick review here iSonic CS6.1-PRO ultrasonic record cleaner | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

Well, thanks again everyone, all great info. 

I should mention that I did purchase the Gem Dandy hydraulic cleaning machine. It is inexpensive and at least according to George Merril, it works well, as good as US. 

I was also considering the CS6.1 Pro. I figured after hydraulically washing 10 records, I would give them a second US cleaning, rinse and then spin dry. But based on the comments and a review by Fremer, it seems that iSonic is not really an US machine. 

I am starting to think the best option for US is a basic Vevor $200 cleaner. The unit has 180W of power. After US cleaning, I can use the Merril for a 2nd cleaning and rinse.  

Had an Audiodesk rcm  the year it came out. After about 100 records, the pump broke and it could not be sent back for repair. So I received a discount (not very much) on a new  improved Audio Desk. When that pump broke, I was utterly disgusted having spent about $7,500 on the two machines. I switched to the current KL Audio with which I am very satisfied. Bonus--if it breaks, I can have it repaired in the U.S. 

@jwr159

Be advised that inexpensive UT tanks like the Vevor can be very noisy; enough to drive you out of the room or wear hearing protection.  Also, you will want to buy new power supply that can slow down the motor such as  Amazon.com: Belker 36W 3V 4.5V 5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V Adjustable Voltage Universal AC/DC Adapter Power Supply for Household Electronics Security Camera Router LED Strip Light Keyboard Tablet - 3A 3000mA Max. : Electronics.  

You can add a filter that can extend the bath life for not too much money - Amazon.com: iSonic 1 Micron in-Water Filter for P4875II+MVR, P4875II-4T-NH+MVR or P4875-NH+MVR : Industrial & Scientific.  You will have to adapt it to the Vevor. 

If you can keep the bath clean, you then monitor the bath with a TDS meter.  They are available for <$15 but they are generally not very accurate at low levels with this being the lowest accurate unit I have found - Amazon.com: HM Digital 716160 COM-100 Waterproof Professional Series Combo Meter, 7", White/Purple : Industrial & Scientific.  You refresh the bath when it reads 5-10 ppm.

Or, pre-clean with Merril unit and then final clean/dry with the HG HumminGuru Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner | RCM | Recording Cleaning Machine; see the manual here HumminGuru Owner's Manual.  The HG only uses 400-ml of DIW and you just replace about every 6- records.  FYI, the general consensus is that the new more expensive HG-Nova adds some convenience, but it cleans no better.    

Good Luck,

... inexpensive UT tanks like the Vevor can be very noisy; enough to drive you out of the room ...

Even the pricey US cleaners can be noisy. I use the silencer box for the Klaudio cleaner and it’s very effective.