Ultrasonic cleaning

How many of you are ultrasonic cleaning your records and what solution are you using? I have a Kirmuss ultrasonic machine and I am currently using Tergikleen solution with distilled water. Have some Audio Intelligence ultrasonic solution on order to try. I can tell a big difference with noisy records lowering the noise floor. 

lnitm

I have the Kirmuss which cleans 3 at a time for about $1,000. I have seen a new product HumminGuru on Amazon for $499 which cleans and drys 1 record at a time. It has good reviews. 

@lewm,

The reason I limit my recommendation for alcohol and UT cleaning is for a number of reasons:

• One is liability.  I am not anonymous – you can find me.  Those that remain anonymous, their identity is protected by law.  So, I am going to be very conservative.  I am not going to make any recommendation that I believe to be potentially dangerous.  And that includes fire and toxicity hazards.
  • As I address in the book, there is a big difference between 25% IPA applied at 8 to 10 ml for vacuum-RCM used at room temperature and 1000’s ml in a heated UT tank.
  • As I address in the book, for UT cleaning, alcohol at the lower concentrations will evaporate from the water faster than the water evaporates.  If you are filtering the UT tank to extend bath life and are not monitoring the alcohol with a hydrometer, after a few days, you really do not what you have.
  • High concentrations beyond the fire-hazard can reduce the density and viscosity of the water enough to affect its cavitation performance.  As I address in the book, the best fluid for UT is a stiff fluid since it allows the greatest implosion force – ergo cavitation intensity. Water is a near ideal UT fluid.
  • A small amount of alcohol can be beneficial and complimentary with surfactants. As I wrote in the book, the alcohol can assist with soil-swell and roll-up.  And this paper Alcohols Effect on Critic Micelle Concentration of Polysorbate 20 and Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Bromine Mixed Solutions (wiley.com) is suggestive that IPA reduces the critical micelle concentration (CMC) which is beneficial if you are trying to use as little surfactant as necessary while ethanol increases the CMC which may not be beneficial unless you are using so much surfactant that the decrease in CMC is inconsequential.

But for UT, it you are not going to read my book, then maybe you will read this paper awad-reprint II (crest-ultrasonics.com) - Ultrasonic Cavitations and Precision Cleaning, BY SAMI AWAD, PH.D., VICE PRESIDENT CREST ULTRASONICS CORP. 

As far as your experience with Trition X100 and vacuum-RCM, given the CMC of 189-ppm and high concentration (at least 3X CMC) for detergency, post rinse is pretty much mandatory for a record free of residue.  Blower style vacuum-RCM do not suck all fluid from the surface.  As much as 30% is evaporated in-place based on testing I did with someone last winter when the cleaning agent was spiked with a high-performance UV dye (effective in ppb).  After the cleaner was vacuumed from the surface, inspection with a UV light showed no fluorescence.  But as soon as rinse water was applied, the rinse water now fluoresced indicating UV dye residue.  It took two rinses for the rinse water to show no fluorescence.  By back calculating knowing the cleaner/dye concentration and the measured amount of cleaner applied to the record, the vacuum-RCM efficiency could be calculated. 

But after all is said and done, if you are not going to read my book Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records-3rd Edition - The Vinyl Press, or any of the papers I reference, for both of our sakes, maybe its best you just ignore what I say, and spare me the time and effort it takes to write these detailed responses.  No insult here is intended – just being practical and pragmatic.  Otherwise, sincerely, best wishes for the Holidays and the New Year.

Neil Antin

Actually I use the KLAudio unit, which utilizes only distilled water. The records clean well, sound much better and no harm to the actual lp as no chemicals are involved. Also better for the environment.

Greetings,

@antinn Thank you for writing that informative book. I read all 190 pages. You are welcome to come to my home and clean albums anytime.

I suggest that all should purchase a UV flashlight, per Neil Antin suggestion. It will show you how quickly dust particles accumulate on your clean albums. I was amazed to see micro fine particles on my clean albums. Could not see them without the help of the UV light. There were not many but still there.

Joe Nies