Two things about tubes

Hi guys,
Another post to learn before to spend my money.
Do the tubes gear need a pre-heat time before starting to listening to ???
Do the tubes are noise and able to produce enough audible noise between songs ??
Thanks for your time in educating me.
Jorge
dvjorge
I have a Shindo Auriges preamp and ASL Hurricane power amps. System is dead quiet. Can't tell it is on until music starts playing. This is true even when I am using the phono stage of the Shindo. But a little tube rush that you can't hear from your listening position is really nothing to worry about

03-20-11: Ddd1
Don't be afraid to name names guys. It's nice your amps are quiet but how can we find a quiet one unless we know which ones they are?
Ddd1 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
After having so many different combination's of gear, this one is still easy, no noisy ones. The only ones that had noise had a bad tube, or something else wrong. I do tube swapping looking for better sounding tubes and wore out sockets in the past. That will make noise. I still can't name a noisy one. I haven't tried the Chinese imports, just mainly the American ones, European, and all were quiet. A lot from Audible Illusions to VAC, and others between. Conrad Johnson too.
I have a Jolida integrated 502BRC and it's absolutely quiet even with my ear up to the mid and tweeter and volume at 90% with no signal. (spkrs 93 db eff.)
Jorge, reasonable questions, but don't worry so much. Yes, tubes sound better after they warm up and settle down for a half hour or so, but they work fine after about 30 seconds, and it will not harm them. Some gear has a "soft turn-on circuit" which brings them up gradually, which extends tube life, but if it doesn't have this circuitry, they are good to go quickly. Yes, chinese tubes tend to be not quite as quiet as expensive NOS, but they will still be adequate, unless you have astounding gear or very sensitive ears. New tubes seem to be improving in some cases, Shuguang Golden Treasure, Psvanne, and Genelex Gold Lion remakes are pretty good tubes. Yes, there can be a little hiss between songs if the volume is very high and your room is extremely quiet, but most people are not bothered by it. People who are bothered too much by "tube rush" get solid state gear and tolerate a different set of limitations. This may be an oversimplification, but it tends to matter most if you listen to classical symphonic music a lot, which has huge dynamics (so you may notice the hiss during very quiet passages.) If you listen mostly to rock and pop, you will rarely be bothered by tube noise. You do have to match the preamp and amp, as a mismatch can exacerbate the tube noise issue. To some extent, more expensive gear may be quieter, but that is not necessarily because of the tubes. Some of this stuff, all you can do is try it, and gradually, you will refine your own preferences.