Tweaks That Don't Work

This may be the subject of some discord, but a great community service would be to help others not waste money on snake oil.

Please let us know what you've tried that had no impact - or negative impact, even - on your system. Also, if there are tweaks or products that are only useful on some systems for whatever reason, please let us know what kinds of systems do and don't benefit from the particular products.

Some of you out there have tremendous experience trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your equipment and probably have a laundry list for us - let's hear it!
aggielaw
When someone says something like, "the black is blacker", etc., my first thought is: specifically, how much? I'm not criticizing the words we have to use to describe such things but making things measurable would be a good start. Impossible, I know.
Are you sure that it's 28%, seems on the low side to me. My guess is that your underwear is not 100% cotton. We all know how synthetic fibres in the carpet can misalign the electrons coursing through your cables. Obviously you have synthetic knickers-in-a-twist syndrome. You need natural fibres for a more natural sound. Glad I can be of help around hereĀ…
Great stuff so far, very interesting.

In general, I am always skeptical of anything that appears to have no basis in science. Even those which have theoretical physical effects, but which are not easily measurable, I am usually willing to consider. I have heard audible improvements from nearly every change I have made to my system over the years, and most have been for the better. In my experience, changes in power delivery (AC conditioners/filters/re-generators, Power cords, dedicated lines) to all pieces of equipment have been the most noticeable.

One thing that is difficult for me to discern much difference on is bi-wiring my speakers vs. a single wire with the binding post jumpers installed (Martin Logan "Ascent" driven by Krell FPB-200, AQ "Crystal" speaker wire). I haven't done a bunch of experimenting between the two, but I can't say that I heard much, if any, difference when I first made the switch. However, I like the sound of my system with the two runs of cable, so I have left them connected that way.
pbb I have never agreed with you before, but I only wear natural fibres, except for a couple of biking shirts.
One thing I tried that seemed to have no effect whatsoever, was the "Magic Foil" by Peter Belt Systems.

They offered a free trial, and even though I was severely skeptical, I tried it out.

The claim was that it "calmed the inherent stresses that result from having electronic equipment in the room, which excited our prehistoric fears".

Needless to say, this was "over the top", but after reading some things where people said it worked, I tried it for free.

I can say that after applying the product as directed, I noticed absolutely no change in the sound whatsoever.

Perhaps my skepticism stopped me from receiving the true benefits of the product, I don't know for sure.

YMMV.