Turntable upgrade recommendations: SME vs AMG vs Technics vs other

I've recently upgraded most of my system, but I still have a Rega P8, with Linn Krystal cartridge, which I like, but I've heard that there may be better options.

I have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers, Ypsilon Hyperior amplifiers, an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 pre-amplifier, and am thinking about an Ypsilon phono stage to match with my system, and a turntable/cartridge.  I listen to almost entirely classical, acoustic music. 

Based on my very limited knowledge, and simple research, I've been looking at three brands, each of which is a different type of turntable: SME (suspension), AMG (mass), and Technics (direct drive).  
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of turntables, and of those in particular?

Thanks.   

drbond

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

i struggle to reconcile frugal or worse with a pair of Beveridge in the basement… @lewm my kind of frugal

Generation 1 reflex clamp is a screw actuated collet and light weight.

I do find the lecture on “ winning “ laughable……

Best to all, hoping Santa makes good on all your musical dreams..

Jim 

@sokogear the Reflex clamp i have is essentially a collet that slides over smooth spindle and a knurled knob on top of clamp compresses the collet. i think the latest version has a cam lever that compresses the collet. Best to you !

i am a Robot seeking to emulate an edgewound Lew at least as cartridge acquisition goes…

SOTA reflex clamp works well on the gospel of Gandy… imo and to my taste, but the brinkman clamp on a brinkman is sublime..

maybe @retipper can comment on the SS SG natural response and what it takes to mimic the RIAA. 

For what it’s worth Iverson spent a bit of time trying to tackle the SG eq “ issue “

best to all, a remarkably civil and constructive thread….

I am a frugal robot, like Lew…

The thing is with you budget, you can get the big 5 taken care of with extraordinary engineering and execution across all the important elements. table, arm, isolation, cartridge, phono pre. So for example in any of the TT mentioned this thread so far w exception of the low end Technics, you are going to get a world class bearing and speed control. Ditto w most of the arms mentioned, nobody at this level is using shoddy bearings, etc… my advice on the strain gauge is listen in your system before you buy, ditto the DS optical. Fortunately for me, this is easy as cultivating long term dealer relationships have been an enjoyable part of my journey. Hopefully you are enjoying yours. Finally, i would call Yip directly….hear what they think….

best

Jim

i am a record flipping robot fueled by Rye

Few people on the planet will have heard your three tables w same arm, cartridge and phono preamp, so it would be wrong of me to try to spotlight just the table’s contribution - I have heard the Technics and the Brinkmann w Triplaner arm but different cartridges… the SME w yet another combo of cartridge and phono pre. As others mentioned, Basis builds a great table as do SOTA. I have both a SOTA and Brinkmann. A good trusted dealer is a search worth considering. Jim

I would add Brinkmann to your list also. With the mass TT you should IMO run them on a base like HRS ( there are other brands also but Brinkmann work directly w HRS. Any of the three TT you mentioned are great, just different. Hopefully you can get some Florida help although at the level you seek you should travel to hear the gear.

best to you

jim