Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Ack, I think your approach is a good one. Find independent ways to measure tt speed and compare them. But I think it is "dangerous" in the logic sense to assume that your particular alternative method is the gold standard. It's more data of a different sort, but we don't know whether it's superior to other methods. Timeline is $400, not $900, BTW. The price is high at $400 but would be truly ridiculous at $900.

Hiho, Super Bowl is over, stuffed myself on chili and beer and corn bread. The lowly Redskins (my local team) beat the new SB Champs twice this year. Strange, indeed.
Sorry about the price quote on the Timeline - I got it from http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/sutherland_timeline.htm

No one talked about anything being the gold standard. It's my approach, and the one I am comfortable with - and confirmed by ear, by switching between a test CD and a test LP using the same test tone at the same reference output level (after the latter having been set by measuring output voltage and adjusting the DAC's output - a Berkeley Alpha in this case). In the end, if it measures the same and sounds the same, it's highly likely the approach is sound.

But others can doubt it and the accuracy of the test tone all they want.
Hi Dev

I have been trying to send you an email to solicit some advice from you on MBL 101 speakers and amps given your extensive posts on this topic, but I am having trouble with my audiogon account. Audiogon is looking into it Can you email me at dhankhar.ajay@yahoo.com so I can get your advice on a few questions? i would really appreciate it

thanks a lot
ajay
After all the hoopla about the NVS, that was deleted, this is the update from Albert Porter, who is an authorised seller.
"Perhaps you forgot, that table was the one damaged in shipping. So in addition to the inferior wooden arm boards, it's bearing was not functioning 100%. Pretty easy for the new one to defeat it."
Isn't it amazing, that after all the proprietory study into energy control, better than any other tt made, they suddenly realise the wooden arm board is not a good idea. Makes you wonder.
Dover,

In all fairness the stainless steel arm board seems a logical upgrade. I think the hugely (is that a word?) larger format of the new NVS required a more rigid arm board material.

The original NVS could not accept 12" arms, at least not SME or other that require a large footprint.

Changing the "format' of the tonearm mount required the factory to rethink the mounting material to something more rigid than wood.

I'm not criticizing your post, the change was indeed made by the NVS people. I'm just saying that sometimes a redesign to accommodate a new arm length requires a rethink of material design to maintain stability.