Turntable Isolation

Im looking for an isolation base for my VPI Signature 21. My listening room is over my garage and a times my footfalls cause the table to skip. What have you used that works? 

128x128travisg

Similar issues in my home. I had a VPI Classic 2. The footfall issues weren’t as pronounced as most other tables I tried, but still there. I now have a Sota Sapphire and zero footfall issues.

My Technics SL-1200 MK2 is also a champ at ignoring footfalls after upgrading the feet with Mnpctech feet. You might look into one of the newer Technics models.

Townshend does not solve the footfall problem, but eliminated vibrations and improved the sound incredibly. To solve the footfall problem (which interestingly enough, the Townshend platform created due to some wave interference), I had to put the table (which is very light, a Rega P8) on a wall mounted shelf as Max Townshend told me I would have to. RIP - he was a great guy to talk to, kind of like a mad scientist who said you can have worse sound with no footfalls or tip toe with his platform, or put his platform on top of a wall shelf for the best of everything. If you can't do a wall shelf, you're stuck with tiptoeing or buying a more expensive table, or putting up with it (not a great option). 

That's why Rega sells a wall shelf BTW. I got the project one which was way less expensive.

@elevick I used an original Sapphire for 40 years and a Cosmos now. I am well familiar with the stability of these turntables. The hammer demonstration always amazes people. 

Hanging the turntable works great as long as the ceiling does not double as the upstairs floor. If the shelf and turntable are heavy enough it is much harder to get it swinging. If you have a good arm swinging will not bother it at all, it might make you dizzy. 

It seems we have a bunch of Sota users here. Some of us know a good turntable when we see one:-)

I had the trouble too with loose floor. I created a suspended platform held up by bungee cords attached to 4 small pillars at each corner. The idea is to put an appropriately sized board held up only by the four bungee cords threaded through those corner posts. I drilled a hole into each 2 inch by 10 inch post so the bungee can be pulled tighter or looser to perfectly level the platform. I have lock sliders on cords to hold them in place. Sorry no pics but I think you've got the idea. Now my wife can dance through the room, the bass can thunder, and my cheap turntable is playing very clearly. With turntables isolation and vibration cancellation is everything. This thing works great! Build frame first to hold posts securely far enough away to allow about 14 inches of bungee per pillar. Connect bungee underneath board. Thread through post and done. You should be able to push turntable and see it gently sway and quickly damp down any movement. Level adjustment by simply pulling bungee shorter or looser through pre drilled  hole per post. If you build square base first, securely attach four pillars at corners alls well. be sure bungees don't touch plinth. Only attach on bottom of hovering board. Success! Dance away!!