Turntable choice for mono records

I am planning to purchase a second turntable dedicated to playing my 500+ mono records (mostly post-1960 pressings or reissues) and some of the lesser quality stereo records to limit wear on my reference system (Basis turntable with Benz Micro SLR Gullwing). To support cartridge switching, I am exploring tables with a replaceable arm or headshell. The mono carts I am considering, e.g., AT33, Ortofon 2M, and Shelter 501 II, are all considerably lower cost than my current cart.  Given the price differential on carts, would I notice a sound difference between a Technics SL-1500C, SL-1210GR2, and the SL-1210G? Or between the Technics line and the Luxman PD-171A or other manufacturers?

I am especially interested in the opinions of those who find a notable sound difference between stereo and mono carts. What turntable and cartridge (below $2k) provides the greatest differential?

vacountryboy

Showing 4 responses by danmar123

@lewm on my Technics GAE with an SME 309 arm, I switch from my Cadenza Black & Cadenza Mono, running to my Modwright 9.0. I can definitely hear a difference. With the  Mono, the base has more authority, & the music justs flows better.....😉

@lewm, I’ve tried every combo, but as you may or not know, the Cadenza is not a true Mono cart. I just went down that road not to fuss with adjustments. "Wax on-Wax off"!

@vacountryboy, Your welcome. I also have an ML. For the price of an ML in Mono, which is not available, you can get a Cadenza Mono 😁

@dogberry, there are many discussions on this topic here on Agon. I'm just too lazy to find the discussion. You're correct about the design of the Ortho, but this is a TRUE Mono: Miyajima😐