Turntable Cartridge upgrade question.

Hi guys

I currently run Ortofon 2M Black cartridge that is MM type. 

what would be step up to MC type cartridges in price range $1200 that would be way better than 2M Black ?

Thank you for input ahead!

128x128ssg308

Showing 16 responses by ssg308

Ok, can you describe the difference ? I run fairly advanced phono stage (Schiid Mani 2) that can service  pretty much any cartridge, but my main concern is the bass and how much I get, do I get more of it and more details im mid and high?

How can you describe the difference between high end 2M MM cartridge and mid range MC cartridge, is it worth expense ?

@lewm VPI Classic Signature Turntable is in question so it is great product for the money, opinions are it would take 15k TT to notice significant improvement, not sure if it is true but that's what I read.

@zb672 I'm getting close to buy it, as many guys suggested it, just like you,  as a good choice for significant improvement 

Ok guys so after all of your comments I believe I found my answer on my initial question : what would be step up to MC type cartridges in price range $1200 that would be way better than 2M Black ?.

The answer is: pretty much any good brand and quality MC outperforms good quality MM.

But the real answer is the fact that in my case changing just cartridge makes little or non noticeable improvement, I need new cartridge and new phono stage, but to add problems and expenses  I saddled on PASS XP 15 so now I debate of the PASS pre amps perhaps XP12  and ultimately replacing my Threshold S550e for PASS X250.8 , yes it will be expensive to do it right. Thank you all for input !

I'm not interested to just change the cartridge, I'm interested to improve sound quality. I have cheap ($7K) table with $600 cartridge so the question is does $1200 cartridge makes big enough difference to bother.

secretguy yes it is not 30k so sub 10K are just entry level audiophile TT 

I know you can get Riga for 2k and it is excellent TT but honestly it does not look like much 

@theflattire valid point phono stage as like DAC are key components. let me explore your suggestion.

@jimmyblues1959 there is tons of bass and mid and top just not as smooth as I would imagine, details getting blurry and when I'm verifying sound with my streamer I can tell there is some kind of distortions from time to time 

@pindac yes I agree, not everything is gold just because it is shiny. I'm big fan of Nelson Pass and his work at Threshold, most of my amps are Pass design. and yes it does sound impressive for old gear, so you don't need big $$ to get big sound 

So much info guys I need to do my home work now, honestly now I'm dumber that I was before I started asking questions :)  Thank you all for input !