Tuner in the 600 range for classical music?

I am a classical musician and would like to record my performances from the local classical music station in Cleveland. Which tuners could be recommended in the $400-$800 new or used. The rest of my system is Onix, Cambridge Audio, and B&W.
I am looking for a tuner to pull in a strong and very clear signal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
flybass

Showing 1 response by sean

I just stopped by my Dad's house today to pick up one of my tuners. He has a Magnum 101 and he was checking out one of my Musical Fidelity E-50's. His final words regarding the E-50 were something to the effect of "that is a very fine sounding tuner". Quite honestly, i fell in love with it while listening to Classical music on WFMT ( 98.7 ) in Chicago. To top it off, they can be had for typically well under $300 when they do show up used. Only problem is, they typically don't show up used : )

The other thing is that they are not real sensitive ( like most English tuners ), so you'll need at least a decent antenna if you go that route. If you are a good ways out from the transmitter, the Magnum's seem to be a good cross between "good ears" ( hearing way out into the distance ) and "good sound".

Some of the older analogue tuners might work very well, but take into consideration that they may need to have capacitors replace and a good alignment after that. Try taking a look at this site here as it might be of interest to you or anyone else looking for a tuner. One other thing: the antenna system that you decide to go with can make or break FM performance. Don't think that you can buy a "good" tuner and then feed it signal derived from a coat-hanger and a piece of zip cord and end up with optimum performance. It just ain't gonna happen. Sean
>

http://www.geocities.com/tunerinfo/