Tuner in the 600 range for classical music?

I am a classical musician and would like to record my performances from the local classical music station in Cleveland. Which tuners could be recommended in the $400-$800 new or used. The rest of my system is Onix, Cambridge Audio, and B&W.
I am looking for a tuner to pull in a strong and very clear signal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
flybass

Showing 2 responses by brianmgrarcom

I also will recommend that you spend time on the Tuner site listed by others. I feel a vintage tuner can easily get you your best bang for the buck.

In the 70's and early 80's tuners were very popular so manufacturers were producing some of the best tuners made and they are readily available in many locations.

I have used the Fanfare listed above and it is an enjoyable tuner, but finding them used can be hard and very unlikely in your price range, many others are suggesting Magnum Dynalab tuners and these will likely be above your budget as well, except for the 101 mentioned, and this does indeed seem to have a good reputation.

I sold the Fanfare and purchased a Yamaha T-2 for $368 on eBay. This tuner was intruduced in 1978 for $750 and has no problem competing with the expensive tuners today. I list the Yamaha because I have one, there are many others. I also have a Sansui TU-717 from the same era and it performs very well also.

If remote control and/or presets are a must, you will be forced into a newer tuner. If this is the case, go to the Tuner site and read through it for the contact to Don Scott and tell him what you are wanting and I am sure he will steer you in the right direction.