Tubes?

I have Revel Salon 2 speakers. Sensitivity is about 85 db. and 4 ohms. They are power hungry speakers. Currently, I am driving them with McIntosh 601's and a McIntosh solid state preamp. I was look looking at a pair of McIntosh MC2301. They are tube amps rated at 300 watts into 2 - 8 ohm loads. I listen to all types of music (sometimes at very high levels). I never run out of power with the 601's, but I am very intrigued with tubes. This may be a misconception, but I remember some friends who played guitar saying, tube watts were louder than solid state? Perhaps this is not really true or not true regarding home stereo. Perhaps the best idea is to keep the 601's and get a good tube preamp?                          Thanks, Dave 
128x128tobor007

Showing 5 responses by tobor007

Thanks guys. So my JL subs came in yesterday. Tricky, (2) f112v2's in a room that is 17x19x9 high with the Salon 2's. I have the subs low pass set at about 50hz. Very square room, but the 2 subs are very hard to locate. This setup gives the Salons the extra low end dynamics (I want). The flexibility of being able to move the subs in this room to smooth out the bass is helpful. I am picking up a McIntosh c2700 tomorrow, replacing my c47. Please, not too much criticism about me going down this rabbit hole.I know I did. More efficient speakers, smaller power amps, perhaps no subs and less money. But the setup sounds good and I want responsible and not leave too much money for the kids. When I get the 2700 in I will give an update on the sound.
drbarney
"But if you want more, a GM-100 triode run at 4000 to 5000 volts can give you more if you don't mind the finned anode cap offering instant death to anyone who touches it." 
I remember back in the day, people running big Krell's on power hungry speakers. Then modifying their AC to cool their music room down. Probably with the suits/litigation now, systems like these would require caution signs and a burn kit to stay legal. 
I do appreciate all of the input. I picked up a McIntosh c2700 yesterday. I'll see how it works out and report back. Dave
I love, love love the information guys. My JL's are on the way and starting today I'm going to start checking out tube preamps. When I get the system together I will post a couple of pics and comment on the sound. Dave
Thanks guys. Great stuff to consider. My last speakers were jbl 250ti's. Accurate? no. Powerful? Oh good grief. The Salons have a beautiful tone and good detail. Not best for powerful rock music, although with clean power they never seem to strain. Perhaps not the best choice but still great speakers overall. Down the rabbit hole for me? Probably. I have 2 JL Audio Fathom 112's on the way. Dave
tuberollin
"Yeah, beside tinnitus you are doing irreparable damage to your ears if you listen for very long at 90 dB."

I think I'm past that. It may have been the 2nd Black Sabbath concert or the Who, could it have been Pink Floyd? Not sure. But I bet the tweeters in my Salons sound really good. I'm more of a mid range and low end guy myself.