Tube Preamp for Pass XA25 under $3,000

As the title says, I am looking for a Tube Preamp under $3,000 for my office system, which is my main listening space. I just do streaming (Roon/Tidal straight out of high end PC, ie no streamer, into Matrix Audio DAC) and currently have a Schiit Freya plus, new to me Pass Labs XA25 that I love, and Harbeth P3esr in nearfield (four feet). Broad range of music, from acoustic/vocals/americana and jazz to livelier funk and rock at moderate levels.

I like my system, but feel the Freya may be the weak link. I am happy with the sq of the mellower stuff, but the more challenging funk and rock can get a bit muddled in the lower range. I am mostly leaning toward tube preamp, but might consider Pass Labs ss preamp if I can find one that won’t blow my budget. Primarily looking for used gear for the savings. Balanced input is a bonus.

So I am looking at the following that is currently available and under budget roughly in order of preference:

LTA Microzotl Preamp (not headphone amp)

Modwright LS 100 Tube Preamp

Conrad Johnson ET3SE

Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Preamp

new Don Sachs Line Stage Preamp (appears that most used ones available have caps for tube amps, so would probably have to go new here)

Pass Labs xp 10 (none that I can find online now, so that will be a wait and see)

Pass Labs xp 12 (really beyond my budget but might go for it if a good deal arises)

Forget the preamp and invest in streamer

So would like to know if anyone has experience with any of the above preamps with a XA25, or just any general thoughts on which might be best for my situation. Thanks in advance.

jcwilson

Well I am glad to hear that the Backert is providing what you wished for. I am curious as to what voltage is provided by your DAC.

Regarding the Aric Special I own one of Aric's early versions.. It was replaced by Aric with the Super. One main difference between the two is that the Special has a variable resistor for the gain and the Super has fixed resistors with four gain levels. Also the Super has superior parts inside.  I would call Aric to discuss the differences and what he can do regarding the HT bypass. Whatever you decide you will gain from the conversation. Aric is great to deal with.

Suffice it to say, I second @mesch and his suggestion on reaching out to Aric.

Happy New Year!

Voltage for Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro is 4.5 Vrms for XLR and 2.25 for RCA input.