Tube pre-amps: what defines "better"

Long story short: trusted audiophile friends recommend I add a tube pre-amp to my audio system. As with all gear, pricing is a very large range, so the usual irritating question is on my mind! -- what do I look for in a tube pre-amp that would send me to, say, a $1500 product over a $350 product? Beyond the issues of fit and finish, country of origin (as usual, the Chinese products are relatively lower-priced)...what in your mind makes for a stand-out tube preamp? Thanks for any advice.

J.
jpaik

Showing 1 response by c123666

Real world example: a friend purchased a used Melos tubed preamp for around 700. I purchased a used Audible Illusions Modulus 3A for 1200. We plugged both of them into a aystem with very good speakers and a custom interstage coupled 300b SET (best we've heard and that includes Kondo). Our findings when we took the Melos out and inserted the Modulus 3A; the midrange suddenly had detail and transparancey again. The bass was tighter. The Melos has already been inspected and pronounced in fine working order; the Modulus has its stock tubes from 4 years ago and they s/b changed out.

The only tubed preamps I was considerign in the used market when I finally bought the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (mostly because it was available and the other two are next to impossible to find used):

Audible Illusions 3A
Audio Research SP9
VTL Ultimate (first on the list, hardest to find)
CAT SL1 Signature or one of the other SL1 models in phono. This one is significantly more expensive than the others.

The Audio Research preamps (SP6, 8, 9) are excellent units but, at their age, certainly should be put on a bench and gone through as parts probably require replacing and/or upgrading. I'd budget an additional 500 max for this task once the unit is acquired.

The Modulus 3A is a great unit but uses up tubes a bit quicker than others. A good set of upgraded NOS Siemens EC88 (6922) tubes is about 100/ea and you need 4 I think; have not installed mine yet.

My finding was that there are not that many options in the 1000 to 1500 range for a quality used high end tube preamp if one insists on a tubed phono section.

If you have patience I'd counsel wait for a VTL Ultimate.