Tube novice here. KT88 or EL34?

Hello everyone
I want to setup a second system consisting of tubes. I love my McIntosh SS but for some music I realize tubes are better. I auditioned the Cary SLi80, the Rogue 66/88, EAR 847, and the Unison Research Simply 2. Of the three, I liked the Unison the best. It was very musical, almost ethereal in presentation and I loved it and want one badly. It was auditioned on very strange speakers called Royd Ministrels which looked ridiculously puny but sounded remarkable. I want to stick with an integrated so it is all-tube sound and no mismatches (most separates are out of my budget).

Anyway, there are two versions of this integrated, one with KT88s and one with EL34s (I auditioned the latter). What is the big difference? The KT88 one is more expensive so I am wondering. I favor soundstage and musicality over anything else. I have a Sony ES CDP, and Paradigm Reference 100.2s with MIT cables (will these speakers do well with 12W? The Royds were a lot less sensitive and sounded fantastic so I assuming it will do fine). Thanks for any info, ideas, suggestions, as I am new to tubes. Arthur
aball
Arthur, i don't know of any cheap and efficient speakers to match up with a SET amp. You might look at the Soliloquy, they have some high efficiency, high impedence speakers designed for SET's which don't cost an arm and a leg. How many bucks can you spend on amp & speakers?
if you are looking for musicality above all and want to stay integrated, try a couple of el84 based integrated amps whether they are newer or vintage...i have shelved my mint mc240 in lieu of a nearly mint eico hf-81 and heathkit integrated...
Hi if you are looking for musicality the EL 34 is your tube of choice and i will add the EL84 as the most musicall from the 3(KT88,EL34,EL84)/PENTODE FAMILY
The most musical tubes for future reference are the 45,2A3,6080,6AS7G,300B/TRIODE FAMILY.
In choosing the unison for integrated is a wise choice,they are quite musical indeed.
I wish Croft Amplification could bring back their intergrated amps from the UK.
The most popular tube in the US,are those 2 your are questioning about the KT88 slam,power,and the EL34 for low power and musicality.
Be carefull what speakers you will be using!!
What it works for one tube/speaker does not work for all kind of speakers.
First find the best amplification and combined them with a speakers that gets the musical taste you are looking for!!!
Hope this help/
RRGARDS