tube magic with digital source?

Is the "magic" of tube amplification more pronounced when listening to an analog source as opposed to a digital source?

It's been a long time since I have listened to either vinyl or tube amplification. Currently I listen to Tidal and Qobuz exclusively, through a Lyngdorf TDAI-3400. I sometimes take analog out of the Lyngdorf into my Pass XA30.5 if I want to try to coax a little more warmth out of the sound. But as good as the Pass, which I have had for several years, is, it doesn't sound that different from the Lyngdorf's amp on the vast majority of recordings. That surprised me a lot when I first got the Lyngdorf. 

What I am wondering is, is a high quality tube amp as likely to present as much of that subtle (or not so subtle) holographic magic if the source is digital?

jaybarnett

Showing 3 responses by ei001h

Agree with tomcy6, however, I believe that simply introducing a tube amp will improve the sound regardless.. Granted, it has to match the speakers well. And of course everything else matters if you're looking for perfection. 
Millercarbon, are you saying that there is no difference in Tube vs SS if you're listening to digital source? Maybe I misunderstand your reply but
my experience is completely opposite. I routinely use a digital source in both SS and Tube amplification with several different speakers. I think tube amps definitely introduce warmth, holographic image and sweetness that's lacking in SS. I use a SET. It's day and night different. Even when I use a tube preamp with SS it still sounds SS. But a tube amp changes everything. Adding an analog source, of course, will make the sound even better and tubes will really shine. I also agree with you, I think tubes are more accurate in every way in music reproduction. Instruments and voices sound real. 
I'm using a cheap blue sound node with a Mastersound 845 SET. It sounds magical. I just bought an aurender A100 and hope it will improve the sound, though I can't imagine my set up sounding better.