TUBE AMP LOVERS - What SS amp makes you smile???

I'm looking for input from tube amp lovers that have switched from tube to solid state amplifiers and not looked back.

What tube amp did you move on from?

What SS amp provided the same level of musicality, keeping you smiling for the long-haul?

Thanks.
barrelchief

Showing 5 responses by zd542

"What SS amp provided the same level of musicality, keeping you smiling for the long-haul?"

Ayre and Theta.
"07-19-15: Mikey8811
I am considering Ayre but have heard reports that they sound lean compared to Pass or even the older class A Krells (which are by no means tubey sounding). Friends tell me the midrange is very natural sounding and clear but lacks body. True?"

There's really no way to answer that question. Everyone has different tastes, systems and rooms. At this level you can't rely on others opinions. You'll need to hear it for yourself. I use Ayre in my system and and think it sounds different than what your friends say. There's no right or wrong; just different opinions.
"07-20-15: Mikey8811
"07-19-15: Zd542
I use Ayre in my system and and think it sounds different than what your friends say"

What is your system? I tried searching your posts but couldn't work it out."

Sorry. I just saw your question. The point I was trying make was that even though your friends and I have different opinions on the same component, doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. Its just the nature of audio, especially when you are dealing with revealing components.

As for my system, I actually have 2. My main one is an Ayre Vandersteen combo, and my other I put together with some gear I had that wasn't in use. Its a Wilson/VAC combo. I can see why, if you were reading some of my other posts, it would be confusing to try figure out my system.
"As time goes on, top of the line electronics are abandoning their colored sound in favor of neutrality."

How would you define neutrality? Without some type of reference, how do you know the "colored" sound isn't closer to actual event?