Top 5 Entry-level audiophile speakers $1500-2000?

Newbie looking to get some decent stereo speakers less than 2k. Prefer recommendations for speakers that are available to audition locally in DC area. Initially would be stereo, w/ upgrade to 5.1 at later date. First priority is music, then movies.

Have in mind: paradigm studio 60, 100, b+w, dynaudio, Dali brands, etc. Prefer something not too harsh on the ears. Need to sound good at low to medium volumes. I have a smallish room and do not tolerate extremely loud playing. Anyone could please shed some light on the best quality speakers in this price range I should look at. I would appreciate it, as I am very confused with the ammount of choice. Would be paring it with SACD player in the future.

Best
Aqua
aquablue2
Echo using Deja Vu, probably the best dealer in the DC area. btw, Sound Image on Rt 50 in Arlington now carries Harbeth.
You did not mention the amplifier to be used, i guess that's good, you can find speakers you like and then choose an amp that works with it.
JM Lab Cobalt 806S are excellent, now discontinued, they are going for $600. new.
used Harbeth 7ES2s
monitors/sub
More details please.
Regards, Alan
Thanks. I'll look into that store in mclean

Room is 18x12. I believe i could place speakers a few feet from the wall. I'm wondering why you havn't mentioned speakers like paradigm, b+w? I heard good reviews of the studio 60s. Would they suit me?

I'm torn between seperates and integrated amps at the moment. Also torn btw SACD multi-channel and stereo. I agree the multi-channel setup would be a great deal more.
Totem should also be on your list. Soundworks in Kensington, Md. has them (or the did last time I was there). They also carry Vandersteen, Gallo, and probably several others.
Studio 60's from paradigm are nice speakers, for sure. But, on the used market, they are just over 1000 dollars, and your maximum was up to 2000 dollars. You can do better than the studio 60's for 2000 dollars.

I would say your room is big enough to support a floor stander, but I love monitors and would start there. B&W has the 805S that should be able to be purchased in your price range. It's a very good speaker, one of my favorites. Also, the Revel M20 or M22 are quite good, and may be worth a listen.