Toolshed Amps 300b Stereo Amp

I am having one built now, check out the review on Part Time Audiophile's site....

128x128oddiofyl

Showing 1 response by fsonicsmith

I don't mean to be pissing on your sense of Nirvana, but reality is that there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to 300B amp circuit design and darned little new under the sun with implementation. I doubt that Matt and Ben have the means to wind their own trannies. All other parts have to be purchased from known suppliers too. The beautiful casework may lend great pride in ownership (though it is not to my taste-too Brooklyn Bohemian vibe for me) but it can not make the amp sound better. Yes, a well-designed 300B SET directly heated triode amp will have the attributes you describe and I applaud you for choosing them-I would too. But again, when I see a new amp from a small company with lots of shiny chrome and by virtue of small company/capitalization size no innovation (not that any is really available) I have to say, "OK, glad you like it". I am no hypocrite-I bought an Ampsandsound Nautilus a year ago that is not dissimilar though not 300B based. But I bought it with eyes wide open that the circuit design was ancient. The guy behind the amp, Justin Webber, makes no bones about it. It (the Nautilus) is all about being so basic and so well built that it will last for generations.