Toolshed Amps 300b Stereo Amp

I am having one built now, check out the review on Part Time Audiophile's site....

128x128oddiofyl

Showing 22 responses by charles1dad

@oddiofyl 

Given Matt’s experience and talent, I believe that this is going to be a very exceptional DHT Line stage for you. The Leto will face a major challenge.😊

Charles 

Wow! 
Which DHT tube will be utilized? My Line stage uses the 101D DHT and it is superb. Needless to say I am very curious as to how you will find it compared with your Zesto Leto Line stage. I love my DHT Line stage and 300b SET pairing.

Charles

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”

True, and always will be the case. The W.E. amplifier is certainly a very different aesthetic (I don’t like the front panel big screen, but that’s just me 😊) I don’t find that it is more attractive than the Toolshed 300b SET amplifier appearance. Horses for courses folks.

Ever been at that point in time where your system sounds so good that you are afraid to make any changes? This is where I am at right now. That DAC was a solid purchase. It is very engaging and you want to just keep listening.Which is what I’m still doing at 1215 on a work night

Yes, I completely understand . This is why I’ve had the same preamplifier, amplifier and speakers unchanged since 2009. Genuinely happy and satisfied with them. Same situation with my DAC (Bought new in 2010) it just presents music beautifully.

I’ve heard a number of other DACs in the interim. None compelling enough to make a change for. The Lab 12 DAC Reference is intriguing and seems like the real deal. I appreciate your feedback/impressions.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

I am gaining awareness about the Lab 12 DAC Reference  made in Greece. Seems to be very well received. How did you happen to come across it?

Charles 

My DAC puts out a fixed 2.5 volts ,  so at some point I  may try connecting it directly to Source 2 and use the gain as volume.  Something tells me I'll prefer the preamp in place but I want to try it.   

Yep, I’d also compare the DAC direct versus active preamplifier. I’m inclined to believe that the Zesto will be hard to beat.😊 You’ve put together a quite lovely audio system.

Charles

Perhaps it’s me, I never got the impression that @oddiofyl wss suggesting that his new SET amplifier was a new innovative take on anything. Rather a very well built and implemented 300b SET. I’d venture that no “new “ take or approach is even necessary.

These ultra simple but time proven circuits are fantastic to listen to. Maybe it’s my inference, but I thought that is all he was implying and sharing. One hell of a good sounding amplifier. Horses for courses I imagine.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

I see that you use a balanced AC isolation transformer/conditioner. I find that balanced AC electrical power a very good choice for audio electronics.

Are you using copper or silver cables in your system?

Your speakers are quite efficient/ high sensitivity. Do you find that you have excess signal gain or is that okay? Not sure how much gain your Zesto has or the voltage output of your DAC? At one time In the distant past I had excessive system gain. So just curious.

Charles

called him a few years later and he told me he was building 300b amps .   He said this would be my last amp….  He may very well be right 

Strong possibly he may be right!

Charles

@oddiofyl 

I imagine that your Toolshed SET 300b to be a very good match with your current Zesto line stage, excellent synergy I’d think. Also, good move on going with the Western Electric 300b tubes.

Charles

Thanks , sounds incredible so far

I have no doubt that this beautiful 300b SET sounds incredible!

Congratulations to you. This is a keeper for years to come.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

Congratulations!

I look forward to your initial listening impressions.

Charles

RS2T-Weiss 502-Supratek DHT-Toolshed 300b. Great links in that signal chain @firstgrowth.

Charles

@firstgrowth

Wow! You are developing a marvelous audio system. Are you getting specifically the Pro-Ject RS2T ? If so an excellent CD transport choice (Nickola II as well LPS). What DAC will you be using? You’re going to be a very happy listener for many years.😊

Charles

@firstgrowth 

I'm very happy with my purchase and can see living with this for quite some time.

I understand perfectly. When you acquire a truly superb sounding audio product/component you cherish and appreciate it. There’s no desire to flip it for something else (Essentially it pulls you off the merry go round). Congratulations!

BTW I believe that you will love your Supratek preamplifier paired with the terrific Toolshed 300b amplifier. You have chosen an excellent signal pathway for your audio system.

Charles

@firstgrowth 

I just took delivery.  Matt packed this thing to withstand a nuclear blast.  I'll post something once I drag it down to my listening room and get it set up.

what are your listening impressions?

Charles

@oddiofyl 

I got a good deal on a leftover Zesto Leto and it's incredible.  Should pair well.  

I believe that the Leto will pair beautifully with your custom 300b SET amplifier, good choices. 

Charles 

I wanted an all out custom amp and that's what brought me to Toolshed

Mission accomplished. 

Charles 

Genuine Western Electric wiring throughout, silver foil coupling caps, stepped attenuators, silver/wet tantalum caps, .05% tolerance resistors.... high quality in and out.

I’m strongly inclined to agree.😊

I look forward to your listening impressions and what changes you’ll hear compared to your Quicksilver amplifiers. Fun times lie ahead.

Charles

@oddiofyl 

Congratulations! This seems to be a very high quality 300b SET amplifier.  I believe that you made a wise decision to choose top tier 300b tubes. You may as well use this level of tube to get the most of an amplifier of this caliber. This SET would no doubt sound good with the lower cost 300b but not to its fullest sonic potential.

Curious that the reviewer made no comparison with his Border Patrol 300b amplifier.  I'm convinced that both sound fabulous but wonder how they differ in their respective presentations. 

Charles