Tonearm suggestions for my Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck

After contemplating purchasing other TT,s I have decided to just upgrade my existing TT, my Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck.

I already use a Walker Motor Controller and it sits on Isoacoustics feet.

I think it's weak link right now is possible the stock Spacearm.

To that end looking for thoughts and suggestions for a good replacement. Using lomc carts right now, Scheu Analog MC SL and have the use of an Ortofon Cadenza Black.

Have looked briefly at Origin Live, Audiomods, Rega etc but have ZERO experience with tonearms apart from whatever has been on any TT I have owned at purchase time ( usually stock).

Not really looking to explore vintage or air bearing arms at this stage.

Thank you.
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 2 responses by br3098

Why don't you look at the Pear Audio tonearms?  These are the final tonearm designs by Tom Fletcher of Nottingham fame are drop-in compatible with your deck.  IMO and experience they are greatly improved over the older Nottingham offerings and will provide the best synergy with your Nott turntable.

That's what I would do, unless you are looking to fundamentally change the sonic signature of your turntable.

I have a 12" Thomas Schick tonearm and it's great, especially considering the cost.  Despite the claims made in Schick's new website that these arms support cartridges up to 22  µm/mN in my experience this tonearm definitely works best with very low compliance cartridges like the Denon DL-103 and Ortofon SPU families, which is what it was designed for.  I have tried several other cartridges with this arm and the results ranged from OK to just not a good match.  If you want to use medium and higher compliance cartridges you may want to look at another tonearm.

I don't have any experience with the Schick 9" arm but I imagine it's the same.