To upgrade/repair or not...Thorens TD165

So I am the original owner of this TT.  It hasn’t been used in 30years, but stored properly...  I’m thinking about spinning vinyl again.  I’m thinking about changing the tone arm wires and cables.  I have a new belt.  Assuming everything else is in good condition, is it worth putting a couple hundred bucks in it to get the wiring replaced?  Then I will need recommendations for a cartridge and a phono preamp....or am i better served buying new for occasional use?  The turntable has sentimental value and I would prefer to do the repairs.  I appreciate any guidance this group can offer..

Thanks...
128x128fastninja12

Showing 3 responses by roberjerman

You can start with a $90 Grado and a $129 Schiit Mani phono stage. A very good combination! After this the sky's (or your wallet's!) is the limit - depending upon how obsessed you want to get!
Leave the tonearm wire and cable alone! Honestly, spending hundreds to replace them is a waste of money! Some oil lubrication of the main bearing and a new belt is all you'll need!
I have a Thorens TD125/Rega and a TD160/SME IV in my collection of vintage TTs. Both excellent - as is your TD165. No need to buy something new!